increasing water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Russ

Reaction score
I was wondering if I can do anything about increasing my water pressure. I have city water and I experience pretty low pressure in the evening(5-9). Mornings arent bad. So im guessing its from everyone using the water at that time. I have all PVC/CPVC piping thru my house which is on piers. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this that could give me some advice. Thanks a bunch.

Mr Russ

Reaction score
OK. Do I need to get one that only turns on when i open a valve? Is there a certain pressure not to go over with PVC/CPVC piping?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The booster pumps designed for this act like a well pump. They have a small pressure tank that the pump fills with water - that water compresses a bladder, and when the pressure reaches the desired set point, the pump turns off automatically. So, if you're only using a little water, the pump doesn't have to run. For extended runs, you'd exhaust the small storage tank, and then the pump would run continuously to provide the set pressure. This Olde House installed one, and you might be able to watch that episode from their archives to give you an idea of what it looks like and how it operates.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
AY MCDonald has a "real time" booster, which does turn on when flow starts. They cost qute a bit more than a small package pump system, but are more compact, however.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's good and bad with having a pump that turns on each time you need hot water. The small tank and pump with a pressure switch resembles a well pump system. It's advantage is it's simple, but the tank will eventually need replacement plus, the pump won't turn on each time you want to wash your hands.

The inline pump's flow switch may get cranky and not turn on at low flow (which might be a good thing sometimes), but they are less robust than a pressure switch. ANd, assuming you do not exceed the minimum flow requirements, you might find a very fine line between when the pump is off and when it turns on which could lead to some weird results as the pressure suddenly spikes when the pump turns on. Hopefully, it has a soft start which should limit the effect.

Not having ever lived with either, I can't recommend one over the other and my thoughts are theoretical, based on how they generically work, not specific experience. But, if I were to do this myself, and the slightly larger footprint wasn't an issue, I think I'd go with the tank and pump verses the pump only.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You may as well get the $59 harbor freight system [might be made in the same place as the link above] and put it on a timer for your morning wash only. Might last a while.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks