gas line connecting to water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

young707

Reaction score
Photo show gas line connecting to water heater.

What material is this connecting gas line?

What is this green stuff at the joint into the base of water heater.

(Yes, I will request gas company to come out and check before turn on this gas line).

Attachments

• waterheaer-7-2012 (1).jpg
    waterheaer-7-2012 (1).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,216
  • waterheaer-7-2012 (2).jpg
    waterheaer-7-2012 (2).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,670

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On the threads, it's pipe dope - used to make the joint leakproof. I think the flexible pipe is stainless steel. If you're worried, you can make, or buy some leak detection liquid. Basically some soapy water - look for bubbles. You should be fine. Now, not sure about the rust stains on the tank's outer casing, that indicates a water leak and could be more problematic. Can't tell where it starts.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The gas line looks fine.

Like Jim mentions, you can take a spray bottle and some soap. If there is any gas leaking, it will make bubbles.

young707

Reaction score
I measure the distance between the flat surfaces of the brass nut is 1 inch.
Can you please tell me the size of the stainless steel flexible pipe?
Does Home Depot or Lowes has longer replacement pipes? Also, do they sell end caps for this type & size of pipes?
Thank you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Does Home Depot or Lowes has longer replacement pipes? Also, do they sell end caps for this type & size of pipes?

Why would you need them, unless you plan on modifying the gas line? It is fine just the way it is, and the utility company will check and light the pilot when they turn the gas on.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I did not know I should flash the water heater tank? How often?

Did you mean 'flush'? The act of heating hard water will cause some of those minerals to precipitate out. It doesn't hurt to open the drain valve and try to flush some out say once a year or so. It may not help, and the existing drain valve on most tanks as delivered are really cheap. For better results, you could replace that valve with a ball valve. That gives you a straight shot, less restriction (flushes better), and being a straight opening, would allow you to maybe use a rod to break things up. You could damage your tank if you weren't careful. Many people go the life of the tank and never do this, but in really bad conditions, the minerals can really build up, decreasing the volume and performance.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flex lines are sold in various length, but as HJ points out, what you have is fine. There is no need for a longer line. Any time you drain a water heater, the heat source must be shut off. A 3/4" ball valve is a good investment. Take the plastic OEM and toss it. Be sure the tank is full before restoring heat. They do make a gas leak testing product, but regular dish soap works just fine. You can dilute it, but I use it straight out of the bottle. Pour it over the joint and watch for bubbles. No bubbles = no leak. Mainly, avoid cross threading and tighten the joints firmly and you should not have a leak. but test them anyway.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks