Chicago faucet tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Chicago tool 1.jpgChicago tool 2.jpg

Hopefully here are a couple of pics of a tool or really a helper for repairing Chicago faucets that use the QUATURN cartridge. I made this out of resin, a two part liquid plastic that cures by a thermal reaction. As nice and expensive as a Chicago faucet is, the cartridge has a tendency to come apart. How that nut that holds the parts on the stem comes loose is a mystery to me. Once my handy dandy helper is installed , I screw on a 90 degree elbow, then a nipple and another elbow to direct the flow into the sink and then I can turn the water on to blast the loose parts out. I found some original cork cap gaskets and siliconed it in place to help seal out drips. So far two field tests on a vertical stem faucet has proved to be very efficient. A master part was created and then a silicone mold was made and then the part was made. Resin casting is pretty interesting stuff.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
someone is NOT assembling the faucet correctly. I have worked on Chicago faucets for over 60 years and cannot remember EVER having to 'fish' parts out because they came apart.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
When I go into a laboratory that I know is only maybe a couple of years old and find a cartridge like that I'm pretty certain it has not been tampered with by anyone. I have seen this happen many many times in my 30 some years working on these faucets. It is just the weirdest thing. These cartridges are not that complicated, a monkey could do it. Got a banana?