Chicago faucet tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Chicago tool 1.jpgChicago tool 2.jpg

Hopefully here are a couple of pics of a tool or really a helper for repairing Chicago faucets that use the QUATURN cartridge. I made this out of resin, a two part liquid plastic that cures by a thermal reaction. As nice and expensive as a Chicago faucet is, the cartridge has a tendency to come apart. How that nut that holds the parts on the stem comes loose is a mystery to me. Once my handy dandy helper is installed , I screw on a 90 degree elbow, then a nipple and another elbow to direct the flow into the sink and then I can turn the water on to blast the loose parts out. I found some original cork cap gaskets and siliconed it in place to help seal out drips. So far two field tests on a vertical stem faucet has proved to be very efficient. A master part was created and then a silicone mold was made and then the part was made. Resin casting is pretty interesting stuff.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
someone is NOT assembling the faucet correctly. I have worked on Chicago faucets for over 60 years and cannot remember EVER having to 'fish' parts out because they came apart.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
When I go into a laboratory that I know is only maybe a couple of years old and find a cartridge like that I'm pretty certain it has not been tampered with by anyone. I have seen this happen many many times in my 30 some years working on these faucets. It is just the weirdest thing. These cartridges are not that complicated, a monkey could do it. Got a banana?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks