Waterboss finally puked....maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Retiredguns

"Guns"
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Steve & I am a retired Marine of 20 years. I'm also the typical Jack of all trades and master of none! I try to fix everything I can before recruiting help. I have an 8 year old Waterboss professional series that quit "softening" just a couple days a go. The very first thing I did was a manual regenerate but still poor water. I noticed when I looked at the unit the watermizer light stopped spinning. I pulled out the turbine assembly sensor and it would not work when holding a magnet to it so it's likely shot. I found out today it does nothing for actual function anyway.

I then checked the bypass valve and it's functioning so at his point I am not sure what to look at. Turbo assembly? some other lines? The only thing tech support said was check the valve and do a regen. At least she was kind enough to talk me out of the $45 sensor at this point.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
that sensor tells it how much water was used, and when to regen. i have one of those crappy units as well. try unplugging the sensor and plugging it back in again. the sensor they use does not fail that often. it is called a hall effect transistor. it reacts to a magnetic field. the connection may be corroded. had that happen to me as well. that was the fix that kept it going.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does nothing for actual function?
Each time the turbin magnet passes the sensor end there should be a blink of the light on the control board.
Now it is possible that the sensor cable is bad or the end has some thing covering it in a way that will stop it from working.
If you have a shop magnet and can wave it over the sensor end of the cable there should be a blink, if not make sure that it has clean hooks at the board end.
Back up would be to change to the 96 hour cleaning cycle with in the programing or turning into cleaning on X day and not using the meter.
PM if you would like.
Next week the changing of a 1994 WaterMax the big brother to the boss from the controls of 1994 to today's control set up.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
you'll be lucky of the control display is visible in a year or two. on my 2nd one now and even on that one, some of the display does not work, and it regens every 96 hrs even if i don't select that feature.. i tell it to regen at 2am, and it rengens when it wants to.. this one wastes too much water. this is my 2nd waterboss. won't buy another one. bolts are all rusted and looking ready to break. been 6 years so far, rust started after 2 years.

Retiredguns

"Guns"
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I did pull the sensor, cleaned, tested and reseated it to no avail. It looks a tad corroded or nasty at the chip end. The demand gallons are also not counting down which I would think the watermizer display wouldn't effect? Would the 96 hour setting have any effect on functioning?

The unit has been good until now replacing a tiny Culligan rental the old folks had in the house when I bought it. The display is bright and there is no signs of rust or corrosion. Even so, I will not likely purchase another as I read a lot and there are indeed better units. Don't think I want an all-in-one again either as I like to easily clean out the salt reservoir. My well water is extremely hard and without the soft water we're frustrated.

Maybe it's time to shop...

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sensor out of the hole next to the bypass and the wave of the magnet did not get any thing flashing?
Out side of taking that sensor and trying it on a unit that is working it is a bit hard to bench test with an om meter.
The 96 hour setting would have the unit clean or regen every 96 hours and that is 96 hours from the last time it cleaned or regen, been there and done that.
Water boss is the same unit as the Water max unit that I work on around here.
And the head tech in 93 said then and they say today that the 96 hours starts counting down from the end of the cycle.
Now if you are using more water capacity than the 96 hour will deliver there might be few hours of usage that the water is not fully treated.

What is the water quality that is getting treated with the waterboss now or the older culligan unit?
Number of bathrooms, number of people?
Flow rate needed for the house?
Might be that the water boss in the long run will be under sized for what is needed.

Right tool for the job and have it done right the first time.

Send in the right corp unit to get it done right at the start.

Retiredguns

"Guns"
Reaction score
When I bought the softener I still had 2 Daughters living at home and the usage was pretty high. The last year it has been just the Wife and I most of the year with the youngest home from college. I bought the Pro series 51 which is huge compared to the Culligan. I have always been at least impressed by the fact I wasn't hauling salt downstairs every week like with the Culligan. Anyway, just 2 of us w/3 bathrooms, 1 that is not in use. I have my hardness set on 28 and it gives me 700 gallons at that setting on demand.

If I decide to just scrap the Waterboss is there brands I should absolutely steer clear of?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this on City water or your own well?
If the boss has been a good unit then maybe just changing to the 6 button control that is on the Watermax.
Is there any water leaking out of from under the control?

Retiredguns

"Guns"
Reaction score
It's on a well. Yes, from time to time the control drips some water when it's mechanical.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Drive end cap is going to need replacing, that leak out the center where the shaft end is moved by the motor will only increase.

I know that the waterboss is out the box stores at a cheap price, but if it has been working then rebuilding would be a good idea.

Retiredguns

"Guns"
Reaction score
Just got done taking apart and checking turbo assembly. Looked O.K. The manual says if no soft water check that and the sensor. The bypass valve is functioning fine. I am doing a regen again..

I put it in 96 hour mode for 0200. Does this mean that the former "Demand" mode is bypassed and I "might" get some soft water? I am about ready to research new units...

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The demand mode should be bypassed or overlooked if it is in the 96 hour over ride mode.
Another thing to check is between the in and out on the bypass, a bleeder valve, make sure the it is closed.

The challenge in repair or replace would be cost.
Doing some replacements of some of the parts and the control board most likely will be around 500.00 while the replacement of the total unit from on line is going to be close.

The media in a packed tank like the boss or the max is better and uses less salt than a unit that does not have the packed bed.
Brine for yours is an up flow which works great with a packed bed, and not so will with a bed that can become unpacked if there is no upper plate like in the rest of the units on the market even if they are up brine.

Retiredguns

"Guns"
Reaction score
Even though the WB "appears" to be putting out soft water, I am not willing to waste salt with the 96 hour mode nor worry about it all the time. I went ahead and ordered a unit from Ohio and should have it soon!

softener.jpg

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Good choice and Ohio Pure is a great company to buy from. I recommend them regularly and have not been disappointed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks