jetpump

Users who are viewing this thread

newtopumps

Reaction score
Hello everyone
would like help with pumps and accessories:
I live at lake paradise, Il. and want to utilize lake water for approx 40' x 60' lawn and rock/flower garden. I need only about 20gpn for 3 zones and 60 ft drip line.
1. total lift from water level to placement of pump = 8' for suction (with 32' of suction hose/pipe.
2. total lift/push on discharge about 5' from pump to 150' to road.
3. need information on model, manufacture, horse power needed/required.
4. need information on inlet/outlet size needed/required.
5. need information on any controles, regulators, valves needed/required.
Hopefully a number of you can/will help with this, for I am 76 years young on very low/fixed income. would like to keep everything pertaining to pump and accessories under 650.00.
Thanks to each for any help

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
you are stretching it pretty thin. do you already have the sprinklers/drip/zones installed and only need pump/piping from lake to the system? i assume you have power at the lake where the pump will be?

newtopumps

Reaction score
Hello justwater
Yes water lines, zones and heads are in and I do need pump/accessories information. I hope that I can get it here for I do not want to just go out and buy a pump and hope that it will work.
I do not want to buy a 1/2hp pump/inlet/outlet hoses/pipe and find out afterwards that I needed a 1 hp and larger hoses/pipe

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
20gpm under pressure will be tough for many jet pumps. i would probably look at a centrifugal pump. if you dont care to run hose bibs and such, and are just running irrigation that would be the way to go. use a foot valve in the lake, hook the pump to a timer, and you will be good to go. most centrifugals come tapped 1.5" and thats probably what size pipe i would use for the whole job. 1.25" would probably be fine but u know.. jmo good luck.

did a quick google and found this. goulds is top of line when it comes to above ground jet/centrifugal pumps.. and the price is right.

http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_89&products_id=506

Last edited:

newtopumps

Reaction score
Justwater, thanks for the link. yes I have heard goulds were good, while I was waiting for your reply I had looked a a wayne 1 1/2 hp and it had almost same specs at 199.00.
I will take your advice and go for the goulds.
Can you tell me if I would need any controls to gowith this pump, example pressure reg./controller or any other items
Thank again for your help

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
in my experience the Goulds will serve you much better/longer than the Wayne. You will not need a pressure regulator or a pressure switch. Just make sure there is water moving when the pump is running and u'll be fine. I'm more of a well guy rather than irrigation so I'm not 100% on the controls part. If I try to get into it we will both likely end up confused... maybe someone who knows better can chime in.

newtopumps

Reaction score
Justwater, thanks for your help. It dosen't look as if anyone else will reply to this and answer my questions.
I will try the goulds people to see what they say about useing/purchaseing a regulator/control for the large gpm discharge. pr if it is possiable to do so.
I am leary of back pressure on this type of pump.
but I thank you for your help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You will not need a pressure regulator or a pressure switch. Just make sure there is water moving when the pump is running and u'll be fine.

I thought justwater said all that needed to be said. So I didn't reply. "Backpressure" is actually good for a pump, no need to be leary. There is nothing you can do about backpressure from the drip system except to put on more drip lines. You need enough drip to do at least 1 GPM and then the back pressure won't hurt anything.

newtopumps

Reaction score
valveman and porkey, Thanks for your replies, I will be obtaining the centrifugal pump and not worry (at this time). valveman sure do like that sidekick setup but cannot aford the expense.
Thanks everyone, will close this post out
Newto pumps

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks