AS Cadet PRO - better or worse?

Users who are viewing this thread

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
At nineteen years of age, you haven't seen much yet.
It's very common for kids to put things down a toilet and watch it go. Wait till you get older and have kids of your own.
Plenty of things drop into bowls. I once found a ball that the family dog had dropped in. I was found stuck at the bottom of the bowl outlet.
Cell phones, bars of soap, pens, small cars, action figures,
But why would you think that it was partially clogged?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The video I posted was of a working toilet.
The video that Consumer Reports posted was of a plugged bowl.

It's not hard to see the difference. Everyone has seen a plugged bowl before.

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
The video I posted was of a working toilet.
The video that Consumer Reports posted was of a plugged bowl.

It's not hard to see the difference. Everyone has seen a plugged bowl before.
I think it is hard. I don't think it was plugged.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think it is hard. I don't think it was plugged.

Well of course the video I posted is of a good toilet.
It works just like all the others that I install. Great!

But I don't think talking about Consumer Reports and their imperfect conjectures about plumbing really belong on this thread.
The plumbers know that putting on a white lab coat doesn't make you smarter. If those guys want to come out and play, they can call anytime. We would love to see them get their hands dirty for a change.

As I recall, this has been a thread asking about American Standard Pro line, is it better than box store stuff.
It seems like it may be.

cadet-pro-07.jpg

Last edited:

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
Well of course the video I posted is of a good toilet.
It works just like all the others that I install. Really good!

But I don't think talking about Consumer Reports and their imperfect conjectures about plumbing really belongs on this thread.
The plumbers know that putting on a white lab coat doesn't make you smarter. If those guys want to come out and play, they can call anytime. We would love to see them get their hands dirty for a change.

As I recall, this has been a thread asking about American Standard Pro line, is it better than box store stuff.
It seems like it may be.
I too, believe that the Cadet Pro is better than the Cadet 3. Better quality.

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
By the way -- if you see this, gusherb94 -- I saw your video online of the Cadet Pro flush. It seems like it took a longish time for it to refill. Would that be because of the rigging set-up, or is that how it is? Thanks for your help.

Hah I'm about 11 months late to respond, it's because of the plastic restrictor Fluidmaster puts in the shank to keep noise down.

s--k

Reaction score
I'm enjoying the site, reading in depth about things I never thought I'd be reading much about.

Question pertaining to the Cadet Pro...is the 1.28 model that American Standard produces in US considerably different in quality or function than their non-US 1.6 model?

US model:

Non-US model:

I was told by American Standard this is the only toilet they make in the US out of all their models. The US at the end of their part number on this toilet (and also on their sinks) designates the country of origin.

Has anyone seen or used the US version to comment on?

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, s--k. Besides the tank look (I think Toto tanks look much better), the one thing that I don't like is the bowl height at 16+1/2". Once one adds a seat the height may prove objectionable to many.

Bellinghamguy

Reaction score
And yet when I go to wholesale plumbing houses, the plumbers joke about American Standard and why they don't install them.
Too funny.

As a DIYer, I can only judge by the few experiences that I have. Toto quality control is not perfect.

Because I had to get a 10 inch rough in, I ended up ordering rather than buying something off the shelf at a big box store. I was convinced by Terry's comments that a Toto would be less likely to cause me any problems so I ordered a CST744EF.10. I didn't notice until after I had installed the bowl that the tank had a flaw. An air bubble in the porcelain casting had burst during or after the firing which left a partial hole in the bottom of the tank. Its about 3/16 inch in diameter. It appears to reduce the thickness of the tank by about one half at that point. As the tank still holds water, and I had already installed the bowl I went ahead and installed the tank. So, I have a working toilet. I like the Toto. But, I'm going to ask the big box store/or Toto for a replacement tank. Custom ordering this toilet from the big box was a nightmare. The first toilet arrived broken. So did the second. The third was shipped to Birmingham instead of Bellingham. The fourth is this one with the flawed tank. The next time I get a toilet or anything ceramic I'll try to resist custom ordering: after this I'd feel more confident if I could inspect the item at the store before I buy.

Toto%2BTank%2Bdefect.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks