(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AS Cadet PRO - better or worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yuck!

So you poop on a shelf, and then get to smell it.
    Wonderful!

You don't think pooping on dry porcelain is going to be a problem?

Big type just like Master Plumber Mark would have done. Dooh!
    No that's forward flush I reverse flush or up flush toilets that use the reverse impeller function. like this
    sorry for the confusion not those other german toilets yuck
    Name:  uflush.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  13.4 KB

DEFEAT Toto has won there is evidence clearly "Lord help me when my toilet design goes into production"

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Back outlet bowls historically have had issues flushing.
    Most still on the market in the US are pressure assist bowls. When I've asked manufacturers about this, they noted that it can take a lot to flush that direction. Most wall hung bowls now use a Flushometer in commercial use. Gerber has come out with a 3" Flushvalve Maxwell for their rear outlet floor mount and their wall hung. American Standard, Gerber and Kohler use pressure assist on their rear outlet bowls.

Gerberit does make a wall hung set up. I used some like that in Amsterdam and India.

Back outlet bowls historically have had issues flushing.
    Most still on the market in the US are pressure assist bowls. When I've asked manufacturers about this, they noted that it can take a lot to flush that direction. Most wall hung bowls now use a Flushometer in commercial use. Gerber has come out with a 3" Flushvalve Maxwell for their rear outlet floor mount and their wall hung. American Standard, Gerber and Kohler use pressure assist on their rear outlet bowls.

Gerberit does make a wall hung set up. I used some like that in Amsterdam and India.
    oh ok thanks.

I think the Pro model is inspected a bit better than the home center version.
    That's good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gusherb94 View Post
    I'm testing a Cadet Pro now. Many of the previous complaints such as sloppy/lacking bowl wash have been addressed, and tightening the tank bolts down so that the tank touches the bowl no longer feels like your gonna bust the tank while doing so like it did on the cadet 3 or champion.
    The closet bolt system it comes with was slightly more convenient, tightening by hand with the plastic nuts wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm sure some plumbers will have an opinion on that.

The Pro model overall does come with some nice touches to attempt to make it more convenient to install, at the same price point as the Cadet 3. Other things it has are an all metal trip lever, uses all Fluidmaster guts now, and a brass shank Pro 45.

As for the quality of the china itself, it was ok. The bowl I got had none of the issues that A-S is infamous for, the trap opening and exit has some jagged spots, though they don't seem to affect flush performance. Overall china quality is still not quite up to par with Toto or Gerber.
    By the way -- if you see this, gusherb94 -- I saw your video online of the Cadet Pro flush. It seems like it took a longish time for it to refill. Would that be because of the rigging set-up, or is that how it is? Thanks for your help.

The Ultramax II is one of my biggest sellers. It's an easy repeat sale. They buy one, they buy again.
    The video that CR did was of a plugged bowl. It wasn't an install problem, it was sabotage. At least it would be if they knew what they were doing with toilets in the first place.

I like this video better

Plugged bowl? I don't think so. If it was plugged, how would the water go down? Why would you think it was sabotage? They are Consumer Reports. Not Conscammer Reports.
    Am now a plumber! GoKohlerGo!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

When there's something caught in the trapway, it is fairly common for liquids to leave, but solids to butt up and into that obstruction. Something like a pen, pencil, crayon, small toy, whatever can do that. The siphon jet on a Toto moves things quite fast...any time you see it delayed, there's something wrong. In 12-years, I've not needed a plunger...the old ones, a couple of times a month. To me, anyway, that says something. ANd, it's doing this on less than half the water of the old ones.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    When there's something caught in the trapway, it is fairly common for liquids to leave, but solids to butt up and into that obstruction. Something like a pen, pencil, crayon, small toy, whatever can do that. The siphon jet on a Toto moves things quite fast...any time you see it delayed, there's something wrong. In 12-years, I've not needed a plunger...the old ones, a couple of times a month. To me, anyway, that says something. ANd, it's doing this on less than half the water of the old ones.
    Can you tell me why they would purposely put something in the trapway?

Blog Entries

Can you tell me why they would purposely put something in the trapway?
    At nineteen years of age, you haven't seen much yet.
    It's very common for kids to put things down a toilet and watch it go. Wait till you get older and have kids of your own.
    Plenty of things drop into bowls. I once found a ball that the family dog had dropped in. It was found stuck at the bottom of the bowl outlet. Nothing solid was going to get past that. After the flush, it would float up a bit and slowly let liquid out.
    Cell phones, bars of soap, pens, small cars, action figures,
    Last edited by Terry; 03-01-2014 at 04:25 PM.

At nineteen years of age, you haven't seen much yet.
    It's very common for kids to put things down a toilet and watch it go. Wait till you get older and have kids of your own.
    Plenty of things drop into bowls. I once found a ball that the family dog had dropped in. I was found stuck at the bottom of the bowl outlet.
    Cell phones, bars of soap, pens, small cars, action figures,
    But why would you think that it was partially clogged?

Blog Entries

The video I posted was of a working toilet.
    The video that Consumer Reports posted was of a plugged bowl.

It's not hard to see the difference. Everyone has seen a plugged bowl before.

The video I posted was of a working toilet.
    The video that Consumer Reports posted was of a plugged bowl.

It's not hard to see the difference. Everyone has seen a plugged bowl before.
    I think it is hard. I don't think it was plugged.

Blog Entries

I think it is hard. I don't think it was plugged.
    Well of course the video I posted is of a good toilet.
    It works just like all the others that I install. Really good!

But I don't think talking about Consumer Reports and their imperfect conjectures about plumbing really belongs on this thread.
    The plumbers know that putting on a white lab coat doesn't make you smarter. If those guys want to come out and play, they can call anytime. We would love to see them get their hands dirty for a change.

As I recall, this has been a thread asking about American Standard Pro line, is it better than box store stuff.
    It seems like it may be.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-12-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Well of course the video I posted is of a good toilet.
    It works just like all the others that I install. Really good!

But I don't think talking about Consumer Reports and their imperfect conjectures about plumbing really belongs on this thread.
    The plumbers know that putting on a white lab coat doesn't make you smarter. If those guys want to come out and play, they can call anytime. We would love to see them get their hands dirty for a change.

As I recall, this has been a thread asking about American Standard Pro line, is it better than box store stuff.
    It seems like it may be.
    I too, believe that the Cadet Pro is better than the Cadet 3. Better quality.