(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AS Cadet PRO - better or worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Fields View Post
    The Toto drake line is expensive and has overall lower waster remove I understand it is not a necessity to have a 1000 grams removal score. So why not just go with more power you might need it, plus AS is generally cheap in price but fairly high in quality.
    Totally, completely wrong.

You can get a Drake almost anywhere for around $200. At Lowe's your Cadet 3 ranges from $190 to $350, depending upon model. At a minimum, they are comparably-priced, at worst, the Cadet is 50% more expensive at the price at which it is actually available, as opposed to "list price".

Moreover, AS's crappy quality-control has been documented on this forum over and over and over and over, as has Toto's meticulous quality-control, even on its less-expensive toilets, which is why plumbers like them

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

AS is generally cheap in price but fairly high in quality.
    And yet when I go to wholesale plumbing houses, the plumbers joke about American Standard and why they don't install them.
    Too funny.

I do sell them sometimes. They make a Cadet 3 with 10" rough.
    I do sell all the brands. Just some more than others.
    I think the Pro model is inspected a bit better than the home center version.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-06-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    Totally, completely wrong.

You can get a Drake almost anywhere for around $200. At Lowe's your Cadet 3 ranges from $190 to $350, depending upon model. At a minimum, they are comparably-priced, at worst, the Cadet is 50% more expensive at the price at which it is actually available, as opposed to "list price".

Moreover, AS's crappy quality-control has been documented on this forum over and over and over and over, as has Toto's meticulous quality-control, even on its less-expensive toilets, which is why plumbers like them
    Ok I have to completely agree with AS quality control the cadets that I purchased were a lot less than 200$ other than my vent problem not AS problem they worked fine my cousin still can clog it. In defense of Toto I have only used 3 models eco drake II, Drake II, and the aquia II. And there performance was ok I just would say they don't remove liquid very well and just like AS they leave streaking in the bowl.
    Last edited by Cameron Fields; 04-06-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Blog Entries

And what toilets do you own?

Because we pull out American Standard and replace with Toto quite often.
    I've disposed of a few Champion's.

Actually I owned 1 cheap glacier bay toilet and replace it with the cadet 3 then I replace my WC high flow with the same cadet 3 about a week later because I liked it. the toto eco drake II is at my neighbors and the aquia II and drake II are at my friends house. He just had them installed about a month ago.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_Toto_o...toilets_better

Glacier Bay Toilet from Home Depot
    Last edited by Terry; 04-06-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Your neighbor has good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Your neighbor has good taste.
    Well maybe I've been single minded, do you happened to know how well reverse flush toilets work?
    and if they are easy to install I need to install one in a basement up north in Carolina.
    Last edited by Cameron Fields; 04-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Reverse bowl design (Flachspüler)

In Germany, Netherlands, and some regions of Poland, the bowl is designed to hold the fecal matter out of the water prior to flushing by means of a receiver shelf, whereas most U.S. or U.K. designs immediately allow it to plunge into standing water. This reverse design prevents the occurrence of any splash-up which commonly happens when fecal matter plunges into the standing water in the standard designs (although substantial deposits may cause splash-up problems of their own). The disadvantage is that it also increases the associated odor and may require the use of a brush to remove bits of feces that may have "skid-marked" on the shelf. Similar designs are found in some early toilets in the U.S., one particular brand being labeled the "Grand Niagara", as the flushing of the shelf creates a waterfall effect into the drain chamber.
    Yuck!

So you poop on a shelf, and then get to smell it.
    Wonderful!

You don't think pooping on dry porcelain is going to be a problem?

Big type just like Master Plumber Mark would have done. Dooh!
    Last edited by Terry; 04-06-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Blog Entries

A very marginal American Standard Evolution Cadet, Marginal at best is what the homeowner said.
    Not at bad as her Glacier Bay toilet which she had tried to return.

Blog Entries

American Standard Cadet 3 elongated bowl with a built in lean.
    This came from a home center.
    I've tried to install bowls that customers have picked up on their own. I remember on A/S Antiquity that was so warped on bottom that it would have taken 1/2" shims at the back.
    I've seen Cadet 3's at a home center that was a little like a rocking horse, it was high centered in the middle.

When I go out to install, I don't like surprises when I pull them from the box. Like the round bowl in the elongated box I pulled out one time.
    Crazy.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-08-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

One apartment I had in Germany used that type of toilet...I did not like it at all. And, better close the cover before you flush, or you'll spray the room. Plus, you better have a big water line as it's similar to a flushometer - it needs a big line (at least on the ones I've seen).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

American Standard Cadet 3 elongated bowl with a built in lean.
    This came from a home center.
    I've tried to install bowls that customers have picked up on their own. I remember on A/S Antiquity that was so warped on bottom that it would have taken 1/2" shims at the back.
    I've seen Cadet 3's at a home center that was a little like a rocking horse, it was high centered in the middle.

When I go out to install, I don't like the surprised when I pull them from the box. Like the round bowl in the elongated box I pulled out one time.
    Crazy.
    In all fairness, you should also show a level on the floor as well. My Cadet 3 from HD wasn't that far off but I had to shim because of the floor. The exit trapway surface was higher than the outside edge of the bowl, so it would rock on its center when on the floor.
    Bill
    Retired Machine Repairman
    Just a DIY'r

Blog Entries

The person that posted that picture had put the level on the floor. The floor was level.

But again, I do think that the Pro versions of the Cadet "are" better then the homeowner versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Fields View Post
    I just would say they don't remove liquid very well
    Huh. Personal experience with the original Drake, the Carlyle (like an Ultramax II with a skirt), and the Aquia.

After the stupid Consumer Reports article that accused a Toto of not disposing of the liquid fully, I have actually tested all three of these models with richly-colored fluid. It all disappears and leaves no color in the refilled bowl. All are properly-installed, however, and that may make a difference.

Blog Entries

The Ultramax II is one of my biggest sellers. It's an easy repeat sale. They buy one, they buy again.
    The video that CR did was of a plugged bowl. It wasn't an install problem, it was sabotage. At least it would be if they knew what they were doing with toilets in the first place.

I like this video that TOTO did better

Last edited by Terry; 04-12-2013 at 03:05 PM.