AS Cadet PRO - better or worse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Your neighbor has good taste.

Well maybe I've been single minded, do you happened to know how well reverse flush toilets work?
and if they are easy to install I need to install one in a basement up north in Carolina.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Reverse bowl design (Flachspüler)

In Germany, Netherlands, and some regions of Poland, the bowl is designed to hold the fecal matter out of the water prior to flushing by means of a receiver shelf, whereas most U.S. or U.K. designs immediately allow it to plunge into standing water. This reverse design prevents the occurrence of any splash-up which commonly happens when fecal matter plunges into the standing water in the standard designs (although substantial deposits may cause splash-up problems of their own). The disadvantage is that it also increases the associated odor and may require the use of a brush to remove bits of feces that may have "skid-marked" on the shelf. Similar designs are found in some early toilets in the U.S., one particular brand being labeled the "Grand Niagara", as the flushing of the shelf creates a waterfall effect into the drain chamber.

Yuck!

So you poop on a shelf, and then get to smell it.
Wonderful!

You don't think pooping on dry porcelain is going to be a problem?

Big type just like Master Plumber Mark would have done. Dooh!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
as_evolution1.jpg

A very marginal American Standard Evolution Cadet, Marginal at best is what the homeowner said.
Not at bad as her Glacier Bay toilet which she had tried to return.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
attachment.php

American Standard Cadet 3 elongated bowl with a built in lean.
This came from a home center.
I've tried to install bowls that customers have picked up on their own. I remember on A/S Antiquity that was so warped on bottom that it would have taken 1/2" shims at the back.
I've seen Cadet 3's at a home center that was a little like a rocking horse, it was high centered in the middle.

When I go out to install, I don't like surprises when I pull them from the box. Like the round bowl in the elongated box I pulled out one time.
Crazy.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One apartment I had in Germany used that type of toilet...I did not like it at all. And, better close the cover before you flush, or you'll spray the room. Plus, you better have a big water line as it's similar to a flushometer - it needs a big line (at least on the ones I've seen).

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
attachment.php

American Standard Cadet 3 elongated bowl with a built in lean.
This came from a home center.
I've tried to install bowls that customers have picked up on their own. I remember on A/S Antiquity that was so warped on bottom that it would have taken 1/2" shims at the back.
I've seen Cadet 3's at a home center that was a little like a rocking horse, it was high centered in the middle.

When I go out to install, I don't like the surprised when I pull them from the box. Like the round bowl in the elongated box I pulled out one time.
Crazy.
In all fairness, you should also show a level on the floor as well. My Cadet 3 from HD wasn't that far off but I had to shim because of the floor. The exit trapway surface was higher than the outside edge of the bowl, so it would rock on its center when on the floor.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The person that posted that picture had put the level on the floor. The floor was level.

But again, I do think that the Pro versions of the Cadet "are" better then the homeowner versions.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I just would say they don't remove liquid very well

Huh. Personal experience with the original Drake, the Carlyle (like an Ultramax II with a skirt), and the Aquia.

After the stupid Consumer Reports article that accused a Toto of not disposing of the liquid fully, I have actually tested all three of these models with richly-colored fluid. It all disappears and leaves no color in the refilled bowl. All are properly-installed, however, and that may make a difference.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Ultramax II is one of my biggest sellers. It's an easy repeat sale. They buy one, they buy again.
The video that CR did was of a plugged bowl. It wasn't an install problem, it was sabotage. At least it would be if they knew what they were doing with toilets in the first place.

I like this video that TOTO did better

[video=youtube;Xn9_zctMge0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9_zctMge0[/video]

Last edited:

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Yuck!

So you poop on a shelf, and then get to smell it.
Wonderful!

You don't think pooping on dry porcelain is going to be a problem?

Big type just like Master Plumber Mark would have done. Dooh!

No that's forward flush I reverse flush or up flush toilets that use the reverse impeller function. like this
sorry for the confusion not those other german toilets yuck
uflush.jpg

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
DEFEAT Toto has won there is evidence clearly "Lord help me when my toilet design goes into production"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Back outlet bowls historically have had issues flushing.
Most still on the market in the US are pressure assist bowls. When I've asked manufacturers about this, they noted that it can take a lot to flush that direction. Most wall hung bowls now use a Flushometer in commercial use. Gerber has come out with a 3" Flushvalve Maxwell for their rear outlet floor mount and their wall hung. American Standard, Gerber and Kohler use pressure assist on their rear outlet bowls.

Gerberit does make a wall hung set up. I used some like that in Amsterdam and India.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Back outlet bowls historically have had issues flushing.
Most still on the market in the US are pressure assist bowls. When I've asked manufacturers about this, they noted that it can take a lot to flush that direction. Most wall hung bowls now use a Flushometer in commercial use. Gerber has come out with a 3" Flushvalve Maxwell for their rear outlet floor mount and their wall hung. American Standard, Gerber and Kohler use pressure assist on their rear outlet bowls.

Gerberit does make a wall hung set up. I used some like that in Amsterdam and India.
oh ok thanks.

kshorty

Reaction score
I'm testing a Cadet Pro now. Many of the previous complaints such as sloppy/lacking bowl wash have been addressed, and tightening the tank bolts down so that the tank touches the bowl no longer feels like your gonna bust the tank while doing so like it did on the cadet 3 or champion.
The closet bolt system it comes with was slightly more convenient, tightening by hand with the plastic nuts wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm sure some plumbers will have an opinion on that.

The Pro model overall does come with some nice touches to attempt to make it more convenient to install, at the same price point as the Cadet 3. Other things it has are an all metal trip lever, uses all Fluidmaster guts now, and a brass shank Pro 45.

As for the quality of the china itself, it was ok. The bowl I got had none of the issues that A-S is infamous for, the trap opening and exit has some jagged spots, though they don't seem to affect flush performance. Overall china quality is still not quite up to par with Toto or Gerber.

By the way -- if you see this, gusherb94 -- I saw your video online of the Cadet Pro flush. It seems like it took a longish time for it to refill. Would that be because of the rigging set-up, or is that how it is? Thanks for your help.

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
The Ultramax II is one of my biggest sellers. It's an easy repeat sale. They buy one, they buy again.
The video that CR did was of a plugged bowl. It wasn't an install problem, it was sabotage. At least it would be if they knew what they were doing with toilets in the first place.

I like this video better

Plugged bowl? I don't think so. If it was plugged, how would the water go down? Why would you think it was sabotage? They are Consumer Reports. Not Conscammer Reports.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When there's something caught in the trapway, it is fairly common for liquids to leave, but solids to butt up and into that obstruction. Something like a pen, pencil, crayon, small toy, whatever can do that. The siphon jet on a Toto moves things quite fast...any time you see it delayed, there's something wrong. In 12-years, I've not needed a plunger...the old ones, a couple of times a month. To me, anyway, that says something. ANd, it's doing this on less than half the water of the old ones.

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
When there's something caught in the trapway, it is fairly common for liquids to leave, but solids to butt up and into that obstruction. Something like a pen, pencil, crayon, small toy, whatever can do that. The siphon jet on a Toto moves things quite fast...any time you see it delayed, there's something wrong. In 12-years, I've not needed a plunger...the old ones, a couple of times a month. To me, anyway, that says something. ANd, it's doing this on less than half the water of the old ones.
Can you tell me why they would purposely put something in the trapway?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can you tell me why they would purposely put something in the trapway?

At nineteen years of age, you haven't seen much yet.
It's very common for kids to put things down a toilet and watch it go. Wait till you get older and have kids of your own.
Plenty of things drop into bowls. I once found a ball that the family dog had dropped in. It was found stuck at the bottom of the bowl outlet. Nothing solid was going to get past that. After the flush, it would float up a bit and slowly let liquid out.
Cell phones, bars of soap, pens, small cars, action figures,

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks