(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a Made in USA toilet as good as a Toto?

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

I plumb a little bit, often with about 6+ trades involved. Takes a lot of imagination, and ingenuity, Let me tell you.

With larger pipe in dirtier places than the average plumber. Septics, filtered streambed hydro pickups [and notice the average winter flow after the completion] And finally, a few of my "tools" - you should see what concoction of pipes is under all that beautiful USA made iron! And just for "filler time" Built the house too. No subs.

Name:  septic3.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  75.0 KB Name:  low size streambed.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  48.0 KB Name:  streambedpickupreduced.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  63.6 KB Name:  culvertto use.jpg
Size:  99.5 KB Name:  tractorsreduced.jpg
Size:  56.2 KB
    Last edited by Terry; 11-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    Pretty sure that Cimarron is not made in the USA.
    Yes it is, manufactured, tested, and the porcelain is made right there in Kohler, Wisconsin, USA.

And you probably saw my other post that said about the same thing, I just wanted to reply with quote.
    Last edited by GoKohlerGo; 11-04-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: I wanted to put more words on.

Bain Capital is not the boogey-man that this thread and the Osama Bin Obama campaign would have you believe. If Eljer and Crane were making any money, they would not have had to sell out to American Standard at fire sale prices. Fact is Eljer was selling mostly cheap toilets go HD, and we all know that manufacturers do not make any money selling to HD.

Yes, factories were closed and jobs moved offshore. Welcome to the world. The biggest culprit is all us consumers who think we should be able to buy an $80 toilet and get top quality and performance. My hat is off to a real "buy American " guy who really walks the walk.

My hope is that there will come a balancing of the world labor market, resulting in some resurgence of manufacturing here at home. China and India are experiencing labor issues. We will need to keep unions and the uncle sam out of the mix. A good company in the right market situation can be fair and generous to its workers, and reward a dedicated and efficient work force.

Dont forget to VOTE.

Romney's Auto Bailout Bonanza
    How to make money from the auto bail out and send jobs to China.

Of the twenty-nine Delphi plants operating in the United States when the hedge funders began buying up control, only four remain, with not a single union production worker. Romney’s “job creators” did create jobs—in China,

Romney's Bain Investment Record: Three Times the Bankruptcies of Fed Investments

The Wall Street Journal analyzed Bain Capital investments while Romney headed the firm. The Journal found that 22% of the companies went bankrupt within eight years.

So that's 8% failure for government investments in alternative energy firms vs. a 22% bankruptcy record under Mitt Romney's leadership at Bain. So Bain's record is almost three times worse then the feds. So when is a 22% failure rate something to brag about?

My Pain Is Mitt Romney's Gain: My Story as a Sensata Worker
    On Monday, November 5th Bain Capital is outsourcing my job to China. On Tuesday, November 6th I'm casting my vote against Mitt Romney.
    Last edited by Joe Six Pack; 11-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    Joe Six Pack

Default made in USA toilet

I had googled if a Kohler Santa Rosa one piece toilet was made in the USA and ended up on Terry's site....long story short at least the Kohler Santa Rosa one piece that I just put in is stamped in the tank Made in USA. Leave it to the wife to look inside!! I'd a got there eventually but hey I found this site! Also, went to Kohler and they are pretty mum about where the toilets are made... nowadays if a company isn't sayin' up front Made in USA I have serious doubts because hey that's a good selling point today.. Anyway that's all I got to say about that.

I know it's a whole year plus but for pete's sake just look at Kohler, find out if the particular model you like is made here, probably is, and then ask yourself if you'd rather buy American and support American jobs or not....just sayin' Also, according to Kohler they are going to be making some small engines overseas with a partner there, can't remember if it's Japan or China. But they have a big plant in Kohler, Wisconsin....like the man says....use the internet, investigate, check out all the reviews...our Santa Rosa from Kohler is quieter and flushes great w/only 1.28 gal water plus is has a partial flush for the liquid only times...Good Product by the buy it was $278 so not cheap but we're happy with it.
    Last edited by lynnshev; 09-02-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnshev View Post
    I know it's a whole year plus but for pete's sake just look at Kohler,
    Once again, just as a reminder, many Totos are made here in the good ol' USA. Toto's plant was running flat-out, producing 22,000 toilets a month, until they expanded it -- something that they did during the recent recession. http://www.globalatlanta.com/article...s-in-downturn/

I checked my Toto Carlyle II and could not find a country of manufacture stamp in the tank. Where would I find it?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It would have been on the box. All of the Carlyle II's that I've ever seen were stamped "MADE IN USA"

Quote Originally Posted by lynnshev View Post
    our Santa Rosa from Kohler ... flushes great w/only 1.28 gal water plus it has a partial flush for the liquid only times.
    Uh. Hmmmm.... How to put this.... Ah! "No it doesn't."

If by partial flush you mean the flush that you get when you press the lever and let go, that's the full 1.28gpf flush.

If you think the "full flush" is what happens when you hold the lever down and drain the tank, uh, no, that's called "misusing the flush lever to dump 3 gallons down the drain".

Modern toilets don't drain the tank to do their flush. They fill the tank to add pressure at the head, and use that pressure to add power to the flush, but they don't empty the tank. In your toilet, the flapper probably closes after about a gallon has passed through, and the other .28 gallon is what it uses for refill. That's at least what the Toto that they apparently copied does. Drain the tank and you're talking about around 2.2 gallons into the bowl and .8 on the refill.

Whatever. Live and learn, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It would have been on the box. All of the Carlyle II's that I've ever seen were stamped "MADE IN USA"
    Good to know!

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

I see a toto rowan cst405mf for 150 bucks delivered. How does this unit flush?

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    I see a toto rowan cst405mf for 150 bucks delivered. How does this unit flush?
    Garbage. Avoid. 2" flush valve. Builder-grade bowl from the Carusoe.

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    Garbage. Avoid. 2" flush valve. Builder-grade bowl from the Carusoe.
    safe to say the professionals recommend toilets with at least a 3" flush valve ? Just more efficient, easier to obtain replacements? I plan on purhcasing a toto for my upcoming bathroom reno here in Queens, NY and still trying to figure out which would be the best combination of water efficiency, design, durability and, it would be nice, affordability. =)

Quote Originally Posted by hboogz View Post
    safe to say the professionals recommend toilets with at least a 3" flush valve ? Just more efficient, easier to obtain replacements? I plan on purhcasing a toto for my upcoming bathroom reno here in Queens, NY and still trying to figure out which would be the best combination of water efficiency, design, durability and, it would be nice, affordability. =)
    The Original Drake Cst744S is a great toilet at a good price. The Drake II cst454cefg is a step up with a lot of standard equipment like sanagloss finish, double cyclone flush for better bowl rinse, and universal height bowl. Both great great values. Figure a street price in the 230 range for the original drake, but you may be able to do even better.