Mini split install questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
I'm not an HVAC pro but I would say I'm a semi-pro in just about everything else -- electrical, construction etc. and decided to do a small mini split in my bedroom (9000 btu).

It will be a breeze to do the mechanical stuff and electrical -- the lineset will probably be less than 10 feet, where I plan on putting it. (probably be more like 6 feet or so).

I've seen a few installs on youtube and it looks pretty straightforward but my question is this --

If I'm careful and absolutely nothing is leaking, aren't these designed where a DIY'er can actually just connect the lineset and you can pretty much start using them without any additional refrigerant charging?

I know a lot of you will say get a pro to check it out, but realistically? Guarantee the installation will be A1.

I guess the hardest part are the bends in the lineset? -- do you guys use some sort of jig or tool for this?

thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
With all due respect: BACK THE TRUCK UP. Most of these systems require that the system be evacuated to remove air and non-condensibles, BEFORE opening the king valve to let the charge out of the condensing unit into the system. The factory charge is APPROXIMATE for x many feet of line, but you must set the super-heat or sub-cool using gauges. This is NOT plug and play or DIY.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
And, the charge on mini-splits is critical and weighed in. Gauges are useless too.

Mar3232

Reaction score
Ok. Maybe if I do all of the mechanicals and Mr HVAC approves the install, I can save a few bucks (always on top of my mind). Even a run of 6 feet makes no difference eh?

Mar3232

Reaction score
By the way if anyone is close to Indiana, have a nice Trane heat pump system available -- only 3 years use -- make me an offer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks