(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: new build

Default new build

Hi All,
    One of our computers just died (kid's computer). The power supply went and I am pretty sure that the motherboard has gone with it. A new psu didn't post so I think the board and or the cpu is gone. It is an AMD X2 4200. It has served us well so I am looking to build them a new computer. They mostly do internet and occasional small video projects from a digital camcorder. I was looking at the Intel I5's. There are two of them at Microcenter for not a lot of money.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0354589

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0388579

Any opinions on these two cpu's? They both appear to be pretty close in specs but the 3450 is newer if I am not mistaken. The older 2500K appears to have a better on board graphics processor. I have used the built in motherboard graphics chips in the past but have never built a computer with the gpu on the cpu itself. Any advise on these vs. a dedicated gpu?
    Thanks

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0388577 - i5-3570K Would probably be your best bet, it has 20% better graphics speed than the 2500K CPU

Its a 3rd generation intel processor thats rather nice from my experience, I use the big brother i7 and the 4000HD graphics that they provide are excellent. Intel is built for maximum compatibility and reliability, I see that after having problems with AMD for so many years.

This processor can handle all everything you can throw at it, without the extra graphics card. As long as you dont intend to play 2012 release video games.

I use these processors for CAD, Video editing, Special effects creation, Web design, and Photoshop and they are amazing.