Sanitary tee on back for venting toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Bandrewfox

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member here and have been browsing the forum trying to get an answer to this question, but it seems like half the threads say it is ok to do this and half say it is not ok.

My question is: can I use a 3" sanitary tee on its back with the 2" opening going straight up vertically (as a vent - with nothing draining into it) on a horizontal 3" drain directly from the toilet's floor flange (about 1 foot away from the san tee)?

I certainly understand that san tees can only be used vertically for drainage, but is this considered drainage or venting? Toilets seem to be an exception to some rules because their trap is inside the fixture...

If you say "no, san tee cannot be used in this situation", then I will have to use a wye for the 2" vent - but I can't use the wye with the 2" vertical since there is not enough room in my joist area for the extra street 45 fitting. In this case, my next question is, how much do I need to "roll" my wye. Does it have to be 45 degrees or is something like 10 degrees ok? I know it can't be flat.

I am the homeowner doing the work and this is in Seattle - with King County doing the plumbing inspection.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If the sanitary tee is down stream from the toilet it's OK.

John

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Downstream or there is waste upstream and the 2" straight up works for IPC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks