(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need to tie in washer drain to main line

Question Need to tie in washer drain to main line

I have an older 1960's era brick ranch house with basement that i just moved in to. The washer and dryer is downstairs in a dedicated laundry room. I have paid little attention to the plumbing in this room as other more pressing matters have crept up since purchase. the other day i noticied that the washer drains into a sump pump hole in my basement. The main line is about 3-4 feet above at chest level for me. It is PVC and appears to be part of a newer repair.

I do not know how to get the washer drain to go up into the main line out of the house. I know that a booster pump of some kind will be required but i don't know how to start. I do not know how to add onto the existing pipework or honestly where to start.

Below are some links to pictures of my situation

Main line out with drains running from the bathroom
    http://imgur.com/6781a

Current setup with drain in sump pump
    http://imgur.com/fUwjL

Drain for kitchen sink and directly above the washing machine
    http://imgur.com/isD59

Thank you in advance.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sometimes a washer in the basement is pumped to a main waste line. That looks to be the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Sometimes a washer in the basement is pumped to a main waste line. That looks to be the case here.
    The main waste line is the larger pvc pipe going through the wall. My washer drain line is going into a sump pump line and it has become almost totally clogged so the washer is always overflowing. I do not know how to tie into the main line or a solution that would not only be practical but also be up to code.

qquote; My washer drain line is going into a sump pump line and it has become almost totally clogged so the washer is always overflowing.

What does that mean? Do you, or do you not, have a pump in that basin, and if not how do you get rid of the water. WHY is the pipe clogged, since that would NOT be a normal situation unless the material stays in the pipe instead of draining out.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

there is no actual sump pump, just the hole for it to be used. And many neighbors have said that the tree roots around here along with the earthenware pipes used during construction are a bad combination. I was trying to tie into the main line to avoid the costly replacement of that particular drain line considering that it is in the basement and even lower then the foundation of the house.

Sounds like you need a real plumber. This one is over your head literally.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There are a bunch of companies that make basin pumps designed to do what you need, one of the more popular ones is Liberty Pump. But, you not only need to connect it to the main drain line, but also provide a vent for it. Running the vent may be the harder part.

It's likely that that hole in the ground is now fully coated by a thick layer of lint from the washer discharge, and that can act like a very thick filter, slowing the draining of the water. It is also likely illegal to dump it into the ground - it is still allowed some places, though.

http://www.libertypumps.com/Products...?p=19&s=8&c=15
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014