Water Softener & Options Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Courtney

Reaction score
A summary of the facts:

• Judging from the deposits in and on sinks, toilets, faucets, and tubs, I have pretty hard water
  • Recent water report: http://www.hhoh.org/images/huber/pdf/hhccr2011delivery2012final.pdf
  • Household of 3, 1 bath, 1 half bath
  • Previous house owner had a softener (took it with them), so a closed loop already exists for an install. I plan to do the install myself. Plumbing experience = water heater install
  • Existing piping is ¾ copper

I spent several days looking into this about a year ago, and at that time, had pretty much decided on a 32000 or 40000 grain capacity Fleck 5600 or 5600SXT. At this point, I can’t recall what percentage of that decision was based on research vs. a sales pitch.

I plan to buy from Ohio Pure Water, mainly because they are right around the corner. Based on the information above, can someone recommend a system and options?

http://www.ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=173

I'm a pretty competent DIY'er.

Thanks,

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I did not see a hardness result. Get a Hach 5B test kit and give us an accurate hardnes test. The resut of the numbers look decent. A standard 56SXT is perfect for your application, the size is what is in question. We need to know the hardness to determine the correct size.

Courtney

Reaction score
I did not see a hardness result. Get a Hach 5B test kit and give us an accurate hardnes test. The resut of the numbers look decent. A standard 56SXT is perfect for your application, the size is what is in question. We need to know the hardness to determine the correct size.

Thanks for the info. I ordered it online straight from Hach. I'm assuming it'll be here sometime this week. I'll report back with results.

Thanks,
Courtney

F6Hawk

Reaction score
Assuming 60 GPPPD, you could get a 48K, set it for 8 # of salt, and go 10 days between regens, using about 438 lbs of salt per year. Or set it for 6 # of salt, go about 9 days between regens, and use about 365 lbs of salt per year.

Go with a smaller 32K system, and set it for 8#, and get about 7 days between regens and 417 lbs of salt per year. At 6# per regen, 5-6 days between regens and 438 lbs of salt again.

If you pay a little more now for the bigger system, you will save salt over the long run, as well as put less waste salt out into the environment.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that you made a wise choice. Media guard you don't need, std resin is good and the valve connection is OK also. Good luck

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
18x33 brine tank uses more speace, but is definetly better. The Media guard is a great option, but they are prone to fail if they are not set up correctly and should be changed every 3-5 years. If you use the media guard, be sure the system has a 4 or 4.5 GPM DLFC button installed. The plumbing connectors are preference. You definetly want a bypass, the website doesnt state if it comes with a bypass. be sure to get the one that matches your plumbing size to make installation easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks