Mystery Pipe DWV cap

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
This home was purchased seven months ago and I've been asked a dozen times, what is that pipe for? The front porch and the sidewalk is only about six feet from each other. The water and waste sewer system are connected in the front of the home. There is this 2" PVC pipe coming out of the ground and was about three feet high. The cap (glued) on it reads PVC DWV (Drain Waste Vent) In the small front yard there are two clean outs on either side of the home. I'm not sure which one is for this home. There could be two since I have bathrooms on each sides of the home and it's on a slab.

Today, I cut the pipe down and capped it off (not glued at this time) and I'm sure it is part of the septic system. The pipe was wet on the inside and not much of an odor. Does anyone know what this was used for. I'm assuming that during construction it might have been required for a pressure test. There are several of them around the neighborhood.

dmv pipe.jpgIMG_1144.jpgIMG_1145.jpg

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
we have a 2" pipe like that under our front porch, that goes to the city storm drain. our sump pump is tied into it. maybe it could be for that?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi HJ.

This is that house I have in the Orlando Fl area in unincorporated Orange County. Not every home has one, maybe the others were buried but I think it might have been a temporary vent to the main trunk until the rest of the waste lines were installed on the two story home and then. Why??? No idea. Maybe some day I'll find a local plumber and ask.

Chad,

Hardly a home built since the 1960's does run off dump into the municipal waste or storm drains. At one time most of the major cities, especially those in the snow belt including Canada, this was a common practice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks