Toilet flange too high, options?

Users who are viewing this thread

husker92

Reaction score
My toilet flange seems to be too high. It is 1/2 inch above tile on one side, 3/4 inch on the other (including the flange itself). When I dry fit the new toilet, it rocks a little. I believe it is resting on the flange and rocking on it.

So, I guess my only option (short of digging it out) is to build a toilet plate. I have seen plywood mentioned, but is that wise next to tile and in a bathroom? I have some hardiboard left over from another bathroom project, could I use that instead?

Other ideas?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Anything short of removing and replacing the flange at the proper height spells out "hack job" as far as I am concerned.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Hmmm. I understand the flange height should be 3/8 to 1/2" above the finished floor, so you are okay on one side. On the other, 3/4 may be a problem.

But wait. You don't need to *guess* whether the bottom of the toilet is contacting the flange; you can *measure* the distance from the bottom of the horn to the bottom of the china, and any recess of the horn from the rim of the china toilet base. If in fact the bottom of the toilet is contacting the flange, then I wouldn't do too much more testing the rocking of it, or you may need to go get a new toilet to replace the one you just cracked.

It seems to me, for what it's worth, that if in the space of 4 inches or so across the width of the flange the floor has a 1/4" drop, your toilet is likely rocking on the uneven floor.

Or are you saying that the flange is not level? It could be that the flange is level and the floor is not. That's going to make a difference when you install the thing because you want your toilet to be level. If the toilet is only rocking a little, and the floor is merely uneven and not on a slope, and the flange is level, you can shim the toilet in the back and produce a level toilet.

Barring that, I agree, of course, with Cacher Chick.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flange is designed to rest on and be anchored through the finished floor. Yes you could build up a platform for it, but it would still look funky, and the flange must still be anchored, but then, how would you cover the exposed material you built the platform out of?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As long as it's lower then the bowl, and doesn't prevent the bowl from sitting on the floor, it would be workable.
If the flange prevents that, you either need to shim the bowl, or lower the flange.
They do make marble risers for that. You can shim and caulk, but it looks pretty bad.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
An inside flange is OK for a 4" drain, but should never be used on a 3". Reason is, the diameter of the inside of the flange is way too small and will result in a potential for clogging. You link doesn't work for me, so I don't know what you are considering. Remember, just because HD or any other hardware store stocks and sell something, doesn't mean there are necessarily good or even legal. Unless you floor is grossly not level, something is not installed or set right. The flange is supposed to rest on top of the finished floor, not stick up above or be recessed under. A recessed flange can be compensated for with extra wax, but too high is trouble waiting to happen and I can think of nothing that you could do that would look good. Might work, but hardly something to be proud of. Do what you have to do to get the right flange installed on top of the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks