screaming noise when flushing Toto toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Azalbo

Reaction score
the toilet worked fine 6 weeks ago. Now after returning from vacation, it screams while flushing and then stops the scream. How do I eliminate loud screeching?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There is likely some dirt or sediment in the fill valve. Someone just posted a link to a nice piece by Toto on how to "service", i.e. clean, the valve to eliminate this. (Whenever I am away from my apt for a couple of weeks, I am amazed at how much sediment and junk comes out of the pipe when I open a faucet for the first time; some of that may have gotten caught in the valve.) Here's the official Toto piece: Link To Toto Fill Valve Service Instructions If you have the type B (Korky/Lavelle Made In USA) Valve, here's a video by Korky on how to service it (similar to the Toto instructions, but the video helps):

Usually just cleaning is good enough. If you need to replace the diaphragm cap on the Korky valve (Part R528), you can get it at Lowe's or HD for about $3 (or online or at many ACE's).

Let us know how it turns out. Usually just getting the gunk out and reassembling solves the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Make sure the shutoff at the wall is opened all the way too.

tsu33a_2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks