(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which States and Provinces require flood testing your next shower renovation?

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Flood Testing requirements in New England, Maine and all over the USA

I was wondering if anyone else online lives and works in Maine. I'd love to see what the flood test inspection approved sheet looks like.

It really is quite funny how upset tile setters get when you inform them they are building their projects wrong. This tile setter from Bridgton, Maine who works all over New England has been quite pissed with me ever since.

It seams online there are a number of different schools of thought.

Some people take great offensive to us Pro's sharing our trade secrets.

Others like to laugh at the misfortune of others and take shots at them for not hiring a pro in the first place

Other's like this guy in Bridgton obviously never new better and are pissed off to be called on it online.

When it comes to researching answers and local codes it always pays to double check and triple check your facts. Finding out that shower flood tests are in fact required all over New England and Maine was easy. It just took an email. I have a list of questions you should ask your next tile setter or contractor. Asking about flood testing is on of the most important. You would not want to have your new shower built and this step skipped....

Hiring-a-bathroom-renovation-contractor-Top-Ten-Questions-to-ask!

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...estions-to-ask!

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Springfield, MO area, Flood testing is rare and showers are not inspected. Testing would save a lot of homeowners substantial grief.
    Kevin Pridemore
    KPC Tile & Stone
    www.kpctileandstone.com
    Sinkits MS LLC
    www.sinkits.com

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
    Springfield, MO area, Flood testing is rare and showers are not inspected. Testing would save a lot of homeowners substantial grief.
    Is Springfield near New England? Sorry my geography is not so good with all the US States. I agree with your comment about saving people grief. Sadly I think it is an uneducated labour pool that leads many clients down this road.

Here anyway in Vancouver most bathrooms built never see a city inspector. I can only assume here like the US most bathrooms are built without city inspections. This can do two things.

1). Save a little money on the job

2). Make the builder's life easy as pie since - anything goes if unpoliced and self checked.

I think understanding the basics is so key. If I lived in Maine and asked my tile guy if he was going to do a flood test and he looked at me and said dead straight "They are a waste of time. They are not needed. We never do them." I might think this step was silly. But, living and breathing shower drainage and waterproofing opens your eyes to all the many pitfalls skipping this step opens up.

Never skip a flood test.

I have seen more examples of flood test from my clients abroad than I have seen collective online (excluding my work). Sad really that a group of homeowners coached by me are showing up most if not all online tile men. This is why I think many clients GC their own bathroom renovation. The sad fact is that most bathroom experts really have no clue what they are doing!

JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Hi John,

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    Is Springfield near New England? Sorry my geography is not so good with all the US States.
    That particular Springfield is quite far away - in Missouri (MO). We have LOTS of "Springfields" here - nearly one in every state, it so happens.

I think understanding the basics is so key. But, living and breathing shower drainage and waterproofing opens your eyes to all the many pitfalls skipping this step opens up.
    Agreed! The waterproofing IS the shower. And thank goodness that I did one. It turns out that Laticrete's Watertight is NOT like their Hydroban premium product. The flood test failed after less than than 24 hours. I replaced that with Wedi subliner and viola! A perfect flood test.

I have seen more examples of flood test from my clients abroad than I have seen collective online (excluding my work). Sad really that a group of homeowners coached by me are showing up most if not all online tile men. This is why I think many clients GC their own bathroom renovation. The sad fact is that most bathroom experts really have no clue what they are doing!
    Thanks John! Now, I'm well-versed in exactly how to do linear drains, and build 100% waterproof shower assemblies from scratch! You are the man!