What Went Wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Only getting 20 PSI from a pump like that is indicative of a plugged jet nozzle. Since the jet nozzle is in the packer in the well, you are going to have to pull it to find out. A well that you could put a submersible pump in would save you a lot of trouble.

Zoomboy

Reaction score
Do they have smaller diameter (3") submersible well pumps which could be dropped in 4" well?
Would I need to dig out the pipe around in order to get to the pitless adapter?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes but 3" pumps are more expensive and don't last as long. What is called a standard 4" pump is only 3.5" OD and will fit in 4" casing, as long as the interior rust isn't too thick.

Zoomboy

Reaction score
Another bummer, it appears that my outside well pipe is 4" at the top part and reduces to 2" in the ground.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
You know, it's threads like these that I wish amateurs would refrain from commenting on unless you know exactly what you're talking about.

You obviously have what's known as "concentric piping". Since we don't have many basements here in S. Tx I have personally never seen one, but we have lots and lots of 2" wells that use packer jets. Basically instead of having two pipes run underground to the well ( one for drive pressure and one for suction ) they install one 2" pipe and one probably 1" pipe inside the 2". The pump sucks from the 1" and uses the annular space between the 2" and the 1" as the drive pressure. I hope you didn't ruin your pipe trying to pull out a "jet", the jet packer is down in the well probably 60'.

I really don't know exactly how they work but I heard that there is a pitiless adapter for packer style wells. Also it is a dead giveaway that there is something plugged in the jet if it will only do 30 psi.

I'm not really sure why but I heard that Michigan guys won't hardly work on 2" wells or packer style wells anymore. Good luck and I hope you get it going or at the least can put a submersible pump in but I'm betting that the well reduces down to 2" piping underground. Best case is that you have a 3" well and can put a 3" submersible in.

Keep calling around and getting bids. What part of Michigan are you in?

Last edited:

Zoomboy

Reaction score
You know, it's threads like these that I wish amateurs would refrain from commenting on unless you know exactly what you're talking about.
Not sure what that is about?

I was under impression that at this forum, "amateur" like me can get advise from "pro" like you. ;)

It appears that this it is my setup. 2" pipe which has 1" pipe inside. I am sure that I didn't brake that 1" pipe trying to pull it out. I was gentle with it. Jus little wiggle and gentle pull. It didn't separated, so I stopped.
However, after assembling everything together pressure dropped from 30PSI to 20PSI. For some reason within few hours it drops almost to zero. Is it possible that water is going back to well? I didn't try to shot main valve and observe if pressure will drop again. Project for tonight :)
I called another "well-man", and he confirmed (after checking the flow from running pump) that most likely my packer jet is at fault.
He will replace all guts at the bottom of the well (packer jet, screen and foot valve) for $1400, but without any guarantee, which I understand. He said interesting thing, though. I changed pump from 1/2 HP to 3/4 HP, and according to him, that was wrong move, since packer jet installed in the line was "matched" with the old pump.
I know, I am taking my chances with replacing parts instead install whole new well, but isn't whole life a gamble. :)
I'll let you know how it turned after Tuesday.

I am about 30 miles NW from Detroit, we do have plenty lakes around here so I am thinking that that lack of water is the least of my problems. Since I purchased brand new tank and 3/4 hp Myers pump I decided to go with replacing the rest of the "gizmos" .

LLigetfa, valveman , Texas Wellman, thank you for your comments and advise, definitely I, and hopefully everyone reading this thread learned something.
It is late night already, and who need water, time for "better liquid" :)
Cheers.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry, I was not meaning you (the OP ). I like helping people, that's why I'm here. I was referring to the wild goose chase you were sent on, which had good intentions but I just wonder why somebody would post up if they don't really know what they are talking about. Please forgive my rudeness.

I wish you luck, and post up some pictures of the repair etc. Also, FYI, although Myers was once thought a top brand they have somewhat been knocked down by mergers and buy-outs and from what I have seen are a lesser pump than they used to be. At least around here they are. Your jet can still be matched up to the pump, you just have to change the venturi and diffuser. It will probably work even if you leave them alone.

Last edited:

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
swapping from the 1/2 to 3/4 pump shouldnt matter as much as if you had changed from a 3/4 pump to a 1/2...

Zoomboy

Reaction score
Thanks all of you. I am scheduled for Wednesday for replacement of the "guts". I know, this is gambling in small way, as I could still land with drilling completely new well.
Need your opinion on my thoughts. When I shut the power going to the pump before leaving house for work, after coming back pressure drops almost to zero. I am sure that I do not have any leak and only device using water during my absence could be rather sizable RO system. But when I also shut main on water pipe, pressure stays at same level when I leave.
Would be this an indication that my pipe (that one 1" running inside 2" pipe) is solid without any breakage? From previous post you can read that I've tried to pull it out from the wall. However, I didn't use excessive force and stopped after short while.

Last edited:

Zoomboy

Reaction score
Quick update. The "well-man" did honest effort to just replace components of the old well. Unfortunately, the age and consequent rust buildup caused break-up of inner parts, rendering removing old stuff impossible and frankly, impractical.
We are drilling the NEW WELL!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
From your photos it looks like you don't have a jet assembly at all. You need a Meyers SW50A - Convertible Jet Assembly. Without this jet assembly you'l never get more than 30 psi. Pumps don't build pressure, Jets build the pressure. Since you now have a 3/4 hp pump you may need a "SW75A - Convertable Jet Assembly". The noise that you are hearing is probably cavitation (high suction due to no jet assembly. The back pressure valve as you called it is to hold at least 22 lbs of back pressure on the pump. It's not necessary once the pump is primed. I wouldn't be concerned with reinstalling it at this point, It may just be a little harder and take a little longer to prime the first time. You are better off with the pump running on 230 volts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks