New cold and hot feed to a new bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Rngr275

Reaction score
I am having a new bathroom put in and I am trying to figure out the supply line lay out. The bathroom will have a shower stall, toilet and sink. Water suppy will be from the cellar to the second floor. There is only room for a couple Pex lines up the the bathroom maybe more. I was thinking about running a hot and cold pex line up then manifold/tees/??? to the fixtures. Not sure what size PEX to use 1/2 or 3/4 or if I need seperate PEX feeds from a manifold in the cellar. That would be difficult but I might be able to figure out a way. My thought was to (and I am a rookie at best) Run a 3/4 cold up to feed all 3 fixtures and run a single 1/2 hot up to feed the shower and sink (less volume to exchange to get hot water to the shower).

Also, is it better to use/build a manifold or use PEX tee's?

Thanks
McD

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have a large tub, or plan for multiple shower heads, or someone may be using the sink while you're in the shower, use 3/4" for the hot as well up into the room, and consider running 3/4" to the tub/shower, then convert to 1/2" at the valve (unless you buy a 3/4" valve!). The sink could probably get away with even 3/8", but to fill a tub, more is better. Keep in mind that the internal volume of a pipe is Pi*r^2 - the squared factor means that a little difference in r means a BIG difference in cross-sectional area and the pipe's ability to flow with minimal losses and greater volume. If it were only a single shower, 1/2" pex would likely be fine. Pex is smaller ID than copper, so 3/4" pex is only nominally larger than 1/2" copper. The fewer fittings and smoother curves of pex allows it to flow with less restrictions, but that is only part of the equation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks