(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 17 of 17

Thread: Through wall AC

  1. #16
    DIY Member rfsmith48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008


    I just installed a GE 8300 BTU thru-the-wall unit in our master bedroom. Used the GE shell that is specified for the unit.

    We like it alot. The only qualifier is that the GE unit is more noisy than a comparable LG unit. So, if I were doing the job again. I would use the LG unit and its recommended shell. (About $200 less than the GE unit.)

    Also: If you cut a hole thru a load bearing wall, whether masonry or lumber, you MUST add structure. (Lintel), over the opening. It sounds like you are going to punch a hole thru a wall that is about 12" thick. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Get one of the thru the wall AC units.


  2. #17
    DIY Junior Member JB40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012


    Quote Originally Posted by mar3232 View Post
    I need a small air conditioner in my bedroom and I'm probably answering my own question here but other than the fact that a "through wall" unit is built for going through a wall, there's no real reason why you can't use a window unit, right?

    I've done it before 2 or 3 times and it is sort of a pain -- but works.

    Why they charge so much for through wall types, I don't get -- almost twice as much PLUS the housing.

    I know you should keep the vents to the exterior air etc if you're using a window unit.
    Yes and no. Most window units have side intake louvers and a back discharge. If your wall is typical, 2x4 studs + sheetrock + plywood + siding, your side intake louvers will not be "free". This will reduce your cooling capacity. A thru-the-wall unit is designed with solid sides. All air paths in and out of the unit are through the back accessory grille. In addition to separating the air paths, the back grille looks ALOT nicer than the open radiator coil you see on most window units. In general, a thru-the-wall unit is designed to stay put all year round while a window unit is designed to be seasonal. There are 2 types of thru-the-wall units; the hotel style PTAC unit, and the little brother version, "Mini-PTAC" unit. The mini-ptac most closely resembles a window unit in both design and price point. The full size hotel PTAC units are the most expensive, but also the quietest, most efficient, and they have tons of accessories to choose from (wireless controls, architectural grilles, carbon filters, etc.). Here's a good sampling of all styles: http://www.h-mac.com/brands/cooling-brands/amana.html

Similar Threads

  1. Wall hung bathroom sink lavatory distance to wall
    By Mike2187 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2011, 05:56 PM
  2. Removing and installing wall to wall tubs?
    By patrick181 in forum Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 04:10 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 12:44 PM
  4. Adjusting wall plates - Moving switches & receptacle outward so wall plate looks good
    By jamminjoe in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 06:21 AM
  5. Wall-mount Kimera on Geberit in-wall tank holder
    By RLman in forum Toilet Forum discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 10:53 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts