Do all Moen Posi-temp shower handles have stoppers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Djscrib

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 3 Moen showers/bathtubs in my house that I believe are Posi-Temp. There is a single handle, when off it points downwards at 6 o'clock. 9 o'clock is hot, 3 o'clock is cold.

My house is 11 years old and I'm the original owner and all these faucets work fine, with no leaks, no temperature problems.

However they spin 360 degrees without anything to stop them. I am selling my house and was told by the buyer's inspector that the faucets are faulty since they do not have "stoppers" and can spin 360.

For the life of me I can not recall any of these ever not rotating 360, but I can't say it's something I've paid much attention to.

Is it correct that all Moen posi-temps have stoppers and thus I likely need a new cartridge? Or are there various models that spin 360 as part of their design?

Thanks from a confused homeowner.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
posi-stem-stop-2.jpg

Normally I set the stopper on the vertical. On this one, it's to the right, which prevents rotation toward a hotter setting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible that when installed, rather than setting the stop, the installer just removed it entirely. That overcomes one of the safety features. Having it also makes it problematic if your incoming water temperature varies considerably winter to summer, as setting it properly in one season, may make it either too hot or too cold at the stop in the opposite season. While not a functional issue, it is a safety issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks