(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: in-slab drains for washer/sink leaks

Default in-slab drains for washer/sink leaks

I've been asked about putting recesses in the slab under various water-using fixtures (sink, DW, clothes washer, etc.) that would contain and drain any leaks from the fixture. Since I use site-built and finished wood floors in a lot of my kitchens, this is an appealing safety net, but I'm not sure of what the best way is to do it. I'm reluctant to simply pipe the drain to the side of the slab and have it exit above grade, as the opening would allow air leakage as well as provide a nice way into the house for bugs. Alternatively, if I hook it up to the sewer line, I'd imagine that the p-trap would eventually dry out and I'd get sewer gas coming up from under the fixtures. Is there a good way to accomplish this otherwise very logical detail without the aforementioned issues being a problem?

It sounds like it would be a very "klunky" looking installation, or more like a commercial kitchen with floors sinks everywhere. They would all need trap primer valves to maintain their seals.
    Last edited by hj; 07-17-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Any floor drain should have a trap primer for the p-trap.
    A drain without a p-trap and primer for one, wouldn't pass a plumbing inspection, second, would be kind of third world. The smell would be tough to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Any floor drain should have a trap primer for the p-trap.
    A drain without a p-trap and primer for one, wouldn't pass a plumbing inspection, second, would be kind of third world. The smell would be tough to handle.
    LOL, I hear ya! That was my concern. One of out local Austin architects has been suggesting the to-the-side-of-the-slab method, but again I was concerned about air/critter infiltration. So I gather from you guys' responses that the more elegant (and less expensive) solution would be to install leak detector shut-off valves at the fixtures instead?

BTW, thanks so much for this fantastic forum...it's become my go-to site for all things plumbing!