Problem with centrifugal filter installation

Users who are viewing this thread

2cycle

Reaction score
My well was working fine; new pump, piping, pressure switch, control box, and breaker. I did manage to reuse the wiring!!
I installed a SandMaster centrifugal filter today, between the pump and the tank, as suggested, and when I flipped the breaker to start everything up, the pressure switch constantly clicks on/off.
The filter is full of water at this time, with lots of pressure if I open the dump valve, but there is no water going to the tank itself. I did get some water at the house, but was afraid to leave everything going for fear of burning up that new pump motor.
I have not checked the bladder pressure on the tank (but it was working fine beforehand).
Could the pressure switch be set too low now for the extra "push" needed to get through the filter? Pressure loss is supposed to be a steady 3-5psi, if I remember correctly.
For now, I'm going to install a bypass around the filter because I need a shower (!!) but I can't understand what is wrong, other than it being a pressure problem.
The filter was sized according to flow, and as near as I can tell I have done everything correct.

Any suggestions, anyone??

Speedbump

Reaction score
Tell us how the system is hooked up. IOW, where is the pump, pressure switch, tank, filter in relation to each other. Or anything else in line we don't know about.

I don't know about the Sandmaster filter. I am familiar with centrifugal filters however and know how they work if this is what you have.

How much sand are we talking about?

bob...

2cycle

Reaction score
Where everything is

Bob,
Submersible pump, then pressure switch, then filter, tee off to tank, and valve going to house. Normal, suggested installation.
The SandMaster is a centrifugal filter, made by Lakos. I've contacted Lakos via email, but don't have an answer yet.
The more the well is used at a time, the more sand it pulls. At times, the water is brown with sand, but usually is is okay. The washing machine is plugged, if that helps to tell you how much there is.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Ok 2cycle,

Move the switch to the tank instead of being in front of the filter. That will stop the hammering.

If your water is brown with sand, you might want to look into a new well. The Lakos separator may not be enough to do the job. I know they work well on coarse sand but not on very fine sand that can stay in solution for a while. This I know from experience.

The big problem is the sand eating away at the impellers in your pump. You may be changing it quite often.

bob...

2cycle

Reaction score
Switch move

Bob, I had just come to that conclusion about moving the pressure switch and was coming online to relay that, and you had said the same thing. I don't know why I didn't click to that, but it took a while. Thanks!

I think it's cheaper to replace a $279 pump every 10 years than pay $2500 for another well.

The pump lasts quite a while, considering. This time I replaced it, and it had twisted the piping in two and separated itself from the piping altogether, so I'm sure it burned up trying to pump up to pressure...I had torque arrestors in, and this time I took them out, because they seem to be cutting the piping into. I hope to switch to galvanized piping this summer.

thanks for your suggestion; I'm doing it today, and will relay it's results, which I look to be favorable. I can't believe I overlooked that.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Filter Probably Required

If you have that much sand, then you probably have a lot of other finer stuff that the centrifugal filter won't get out. I would add a cartridge filter after the centrifugal filter. It would be large, at least the Big Blue 20" long size, with a cartridge of 1 micron to maximum of 5 microns.

A generic version of the 20" Big Blue housing can be had for about $55. It has 1" inlet and outlet fittings. Harmsco general purpose sediment cartridges list for $35.12 for the 1 micron HB-20-1W, and $30.08 for the 5 micron HB-20-5W. They should be available for 20% off that price. They are sold in packs of 4 cartridges.

They will last at least 10 times as long as the service you will get using one standard 10" cartridge with the same filter effectiveness, because of the combined effects of lower flow per unit of surface area, and greater surface area to collect the dirt. They say you can wash and reuse them but I wouldn't count on it.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you can buy a submersible pump of any quality for that price today. But if your pumping the amount of sand you indicated, they won't be lasting 10 years. The average life of a submersible pump not pumping sand is only seven years.

And BobNH is right, the leval separator won't handle the fine stuff.

If you pump twisted off, it sounds like someone didn't tighten a joint or used the wrong pipe. I like galvanized pipe best. If you must use plastic, use at least 160 poly or Sch 80 PVC.

2cycle

Reaction score
All is well

Bob, did the required pressure switch move, and all is well. I'm upset at myself for missing that in the initial installation, but...I did.

Thanks for the help, and for the also mentioned cartridge filter, but I think unless I have to install one, I will do without the accompanying pressure drop.

Great forum; I'll keep it in my favorites in case anything else comes up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks