Tap into 2in DWV to add sink drain on lower floor

Users who are viewing this thread

DWClark

Reaction score
Thanks in advance ...

We opened a wall in our semi-finished walkout basement to re-work electrics and add a stand by gen ... Finished basement will act as guest suite and "shelter" as required .. and a kitchenette with gas stove...appears the capability is also there for a sink to be included in plans..

Question / situation: There is a 2 in DWV coming straight down from upper floor and into slab...and assumed to final drain system. Hot and Cold Copper Feeds for the Upper floor are there as well, run parallel to DWV.
- The 2 in DWV services the Washing Machine, Dishwasher and Kitchin sink...The Kitchen sink has an upper PVC pipe with a mechanical vent installed, the dishwasher drain also connects to sink drain system ...and I presume the washer not only drops into DWV but also has the vent to the roof .. can see proximate location outside above laundry room ..
-- On the Lower Floor ( Basement ) can I tap into the 2 in DWV and add a kitchen sink on the lower floor ..would have to add approx 16 in run to get between the adjacent stud frame and was thinking all I would need is a Studdor or Mechanical vent...kind of like an Island sink ..( I Presume it is a Wet Vent System and I dang sure don't want to tap in and have upstairs sink and washer drain into sink downstairs)

I also presume a mechanical vent is ok in FL Panhandle (Okaloosa County) as our Kitchen sink is near enough an island and has mechanical vent installed..

House built Sep 2001..

Comments suggestions appreciated...

-darryl

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When you say a mechanical vent do you mean an AAV? Mechanical vents are not allowed but an AAV is. They have mechanical vents that are use in tralers but not permited for use in homes.

DWClark

Reaction score
AA Valve

Cass said:
When you say a mechanical vent do you mean an AAV? Mechanical vents are not allowed but an AAV is. They have mechanical vents that are use in tralers but not permited for use in homes.

I looked a Lowes on the shelf and what is installed on kitchen sink upstairs is not the Studor Valve ..but a cheaper "Black Version" with a rubber diaphragm ...I thought I read mechanical vent on the carton / air admitance ... Similar in design but as noted 7 bucks vs 20 bucks..

-darryl

DWClark

Reaction score
DWV tap in Pic

This is the 2 in DWV I would like to tap into for a sink on lower floor ...at the top: One branch comes fwd to connect to kitchen sink / dishwasher and the other branch heads back and to the left for the washer drain...

tap-dwv.jpg

Upstairs Kitchen AAV (Black deal on top PVC)...installed..e.g mechanical drain ..? Blcak hose is from dishwasher...
sink-aav.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

The sink on the lower level would have to have more protection from positive pressure caused by the water pushing air in front of it. An AAV of any kind cannot provide that protection.

DWClark

Reaction score
Too much pressure for AAV

hj said:
The sink on the lower level would have to have more protection from positive pressure caused by the water pushing air in front of it. An AAV of any kind cannot provide that protection.

Ah .. that's kind of what I was expecting .. hope is not lost, plumber coming by next Tue to assess ...

Could we vent out the side of house between floors? I have No windows on that side of house ( South Side ) and vent would be near rooftop of nextdoors 1 story house .. approx 14-15 foot between houses..

-darryl

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
DWClark said:
Ah .. that's kind of what I was expecting .. hope is not lost, plumber coming by next Tue to assess ...

Could we vent out the side of house between floors? I have No windows on that side of house ( South Side ) and vent would be near rooftop of nextdoors 1 story house .. approx 14-15 foot between houses..

-darryl

Sidewall (plumbing) vents are supposed to be 10' above grade. The distance between the houses should be alright, but check your grade first.

DWClark

Reaction score
10 Foot above Grade

FloridaOrange said:
Sidewall (plumbing) vents are supposed to be 10' above grade. The distance between the houses should be alright, but check your grade first.

Copy .. think we can manage that or come real close ...depending on dirt level outside .. space between ceiling and upper floor is approx 18 inches +/- a touch ..I'll take a measurement to see exact..hopefully on the + side closer to 24 inches and the floor to ceiling is a solid 8 foot ...

The exit might be below 10 foot ...but if we 90 degree up we can get vent open to 10 foot ...curious, coming out of the house..pvc or galvanized pipe?

I'll have questions lined up for professional and won't sound too idiodic..

Mach 1 driver .. as in / like the 2003 DSG or 73 Mach 1 in my garage..?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks