(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Sillcock Stem packing - how to replace? FU SAN frost-proof sillcocks

Threaded View

DIY Junior Member rockandroller's Avatar

Default Sillcock Stem packing - how to replace? FU SAN frost-proof sillcocks

Hi all, we've got a couple of FU SAN anti-siphon frost-proof sillcocks on our house.
    (they are made in Taiwan, and appear to be virtually identical to a "Legend T-552")

They're probably ten years old, and one has started to leak out the stem any time it is turned on.
    What little info I can find on the web indicates that it is likely time to replace the "stem packing".

I have already tried tightening the nut ("stem gland screw") , but that doesn't slow the leak whatsoever.

I have never opened one of these up, and have no idea what the "stem packing" looks like.
    But I'd prefer to have the replacement on hand before I start working on it (have to shut off the water to the whole house first!)

Does anyone know if this 'packing' is a specially formed rubber piece - or can I just use some generic "stem packing" string??

If string isn't going to work, any hints on where I can find a replacement 'packing'???

The factory PDF drawings call it variously NB55, "Rubber", "Buna-n", NBR, and 'same as NBR' - it is part 5-1 in the picture...
    Name:  fusan.png
Views: 2034
Size:  35.4 KB
    Last edited by rockandroller; 07-14-2012 at 12:32 PM.