Need review of a rough plumbing diagram

Users who are viewing this thread

ClevelandGuy

Cleveland Guy
Reaction score
Can someone review the attached rough plumbing diagram. Let me know if my pipe sizes are ok, and check my venting. I have no clue how to properly vent, especially with 2 bathroom sharing a wall. Any other suggestions would be great!

This is for a single story ranch style cottage with a crawlspace with the main drain going horizontal to a septic tank.

rough_plumbing.jpg

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you intend to acutally install it the way you have drawn it, you are going to a LOT of extra work and expense. But it would be difficult to explain a different way and hope that you would understand and install it that way. You do NOT want to run 3" laterally and the reduce it to 1 1/2" for the sinks. And I would not run 1 1/2" to the sinks in the first place. The same thing with the 4" reducing to 2" for the tubs.

ClevelandGuy

Cleveland Guy
Reaction score
Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Could you suggest an easier way to layout this plumbing based on the constraints of the bathroom floor plan?

Timf

Reaction score
And your vents on the toilets are wrong. They need to be downstream of the toilets rather than where you show them to protect the toilet traps from being siphoned.

Tim

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
And your vents on the toilets are wrong. They need to be downstream of the toilets rather than where you show them to protect the toilet traps from being siphoned.

Tim

Toilet traps are designed to be siphoned and it makes no difference where the vents are except that that no part of the vent can be horizontal until it is 6" above the highest fixture served (the lav's)

Timf

Reaction score
Toilet traps are designed to be siphoned and it makes no difference where the vents are except that that no part of the vent can be horizontal until it is 6" above the highest fixture served (the lav's)

I didn't realize that. Thank you for the correction.

Plumber1979

Certified Plumber
Reaction score
technically you dont have to ven your toilets if you have both lavs coming off like you do. its called wet venting

Last edited:

Plumber1979

Certified Plumber
Reaction score

thats not right either

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
technically you dont have to ven your toilets if you have both lavs coming off like you do. its called wet venting

Technically, he's in Oregon which is UPC so given the locations of the fixtures, he will have to individually vent the water closets. If Oregon was IPC then he could get rid of the toilet vents altogether.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, that would be 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served by the branch which in this case is the lav.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks