(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toilet Tank Tiny Crack

Default Toilet Tank Tiny Crack

My tank has a tiny crack that has formed at the flush handle. It's not dripping yet, but there is a hint of mildew where some moisture is getting through. Can I seal this or do I have to buy a new tank or a whole new toilet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat101 View Post
    My tank has a tiny crack that has formed at the flush handle. It's not dripping yet, but there is a hint of mildew where some moisture is getting through. Can I seal this or do I have to buy a new tank or a whole new toilet?
    Normally, the flush handle nut would be at least an inch above the top of the overflow tube, and thus at least an inch-and-a-half or more above the normal water line. (At least this is how Korky advises its flush valves/overflow tube to be installed.) So I'm not sure why this would be an issue unless/until the crack propagates. But the pros will have more experience with issues like this.

If you do decide that you need to purchase new china, there are a variety of local and online sources of new and used tanks, which are not terribly hard to install yourself. (It's getting the old one off that can require some elbow grease if it has been attached for a long time.) If you purchase a new tank with no guts in it, and the flush valve size is 2", Korky makes a nice kit that contains the fill valve, flush valve, and new hardware to reattach the tank to the bowl for about $20. You can buy their fill valve and flush valve separately; the flush valve that comes separately from the fill valve has more hardware than the one in the fill valve/flush valve kit, specifically it has two nuts, two rubber washers and two metal washers for each bolt (instead of one), which seems to be the generally-recommended method on here of reinstalling the tank.)

A little more data might help here, like the make, model, age of toilet. Patching toilet tanks is usually not too successful, but you could try. If it doesn't work, then look at a new tank. However, realize that sometimes a new tank on an old toilet might cost as much as a new unit. If what you have now is an old 3.5 gpf or a first edition low flow, you might be wise to go ahead an upgrade to a new unit.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

SOmetimes a small crack can quickly become a large crack and you may want to turn the water off if you are going to be away for a long period of time. Repair is spotty, replacement is the norm. Sometimes you get lucky and the tank is cheap, but if not, think about a whole new toilet.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014