Leak in 2nd floor toilet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Grill Sergeant

Reaction score
Hello.

I installed a new toilet in the 2nd floor master bath on October 2011. About 3 weeks ago (June 2012), I noticed a leak coming through the ceiling on the 1st floor directly under the toilet.

My first thought was to replace the wax ring, so I tried that and the leak persisted. The toilet is up against a wall, and the drain pipe runs about 8 feet and drops down the opposite wall. When I turn the water off under at the water line below the tank, the leak stops. This means it can't be a leak in the line right? Otherwise it would still be leaking unless I shut the main off?

At this point should I start thinking about ripping up the tile and sub-floor?

Thanks for any help!

-GS

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
At this point you should call a plumber and let him diagnose it BEFORE you go crazy and start tearing things apart. Unless water is leaking out of the tank, turning off the water should have NOTHING to do with stopping the leak, other than preventing you from flushing the toilet.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Leave the water on clean up floor and all porcelain meticulously. Now lay down newspaper on floor behind toilet and flush a lot. Newspaper shows a drop of water best. Toilets are not suppose to touch wall! My guess, the tank to toilet is leaking.
I two think You need a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many installs require two wax rings. Unless the flange is above the finished flooring, you will need more then one wax ring.
Sometimes the flange is on the first floor, and then the secondary flooring is cut around the flange. It may be 5/8" underlayment or it may be backer board and tile. If that is the case, one wax ring wont do the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks