Patching concrete in driveway questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I need to patch a 2'x5' saw cut hole in my driveway which had to be done to repair a water main burst.

My plan is to first add gravel then top with sand and water to get my depth back to about 4-5".
Then drill holes in sides of concrete about 1/4 way up from bottom for #4 rebar stakes and epoxy them in.
Then lay in re bar in lattis configuration and tie to keep all suspended and together. Then pour concrete and float.
Am I on the right track to prevent cracking due to driving over?
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Yes, you are. If possible, the sides of the hole you are repairing should be angled outward at the bottom, so the new patch will not have wiggle room. You could use a chipping hammer to cut the angle. Also, consider using a bonding agent on the edges of the concrete (around the area already cut). We use a product called Bull Bond- it's water based but it works- look for it in a quart size, what you don't use will keep quite a while for future use. And if you have to add a little topping of cement to level it to the exisitng driveway surface, coat again with bonding agent first.
Not sure what you mean about topping with sand and water, though. Gravel and sand packed down with a tamping tool before you mix the cement should work fine.
I would add some screened sand to your cement when mixing; I think it'll make it more durable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks