Ultramax II, left or right hand trip lever in small powder room?

Users who are viewing this thread

greyhound1

Reaction score
Greetings:

We are re-doing our small first floor powder room and have decided on the Toto Ultramax II toilet. The powder room is 4 feet deep as you enter, and 4.5 feet wide. The toilet will set in the back left hand side of the room as you enter, and will be located next to a wall (to the left of the toilet as you face it). An 18" wide Ronbow cabinet and sink will be located on the back, right hand side of the room as you enter. The right hand side of the sink (as you face it) will be approximately 2" from the right wall as you enter. Although we nave not ordered the toilet yet, and knowing that the trip lever is side mounted, I was wondering if ordering a left hand trip lever is wise, considering that it will be close to the left wall of the powder room?

Also, how much clearance is required from the left side of the toilet to the wall, if a left hand trip lever toilet is installed? I was wondering if it will be difficult to change the trip lever in this configuration?

Also, if I decide to order the Toto with a right hand trip lever, I was wondering whether replacement Toto trip levers for the UmaxII come in right handed models or do you just install a "standard" lever in the upside down position? If the latter, then the handle would point "down" on the right side as you face it, rather than "up" (i.e., the correct orientation, if you press down to flush). I will try to call their customer service when I get a chance.

I'm thinking that the model with the right hand trip lever may be easier to flush in this small powder room (and ADA compliant!)

Thank you for your advice.

Sincerely,

Greyhound1

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I don't know if this makes your decision any easier, but the right-hand trip lever version of the Ultramax II only comes in cotton white. 604114CEFRG only comes in finish #01 (which is cotton white).

They make a (special, different) right-hand trip lever for the Drake, and the replacement trip lever has a different model number and can be ordered. I don't know about the Ultramax II, because Toto doesn't seem to publish a separate parts list for the right-hand trip lever model online. If one of the pros doesn't answer your question on here promptly, try calling Toto customer service tomorrow. They are really nice and really aim to please, and should be able to answer that question definitively and immediately. 1-888-295-8134 (note it's an 888 toll-free number, not 800)

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
LEft or right hand trip lever is usually a ADA requirement and not applicable to residences. You ALWAYS need 15" from the center of the toilet to a wall or cabinet, so it also has nothing to do with the handle's "side". Nomally, a right hand tank costs more and the trip lever is less common and more expensive.

greyhound1

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. With the newly tiled walls, the center of the flange will be 14 3/4" from the left side wall.

Since the Umax II is approximately 16 1/2" wide, the center of the tank to the left wall is approximately 8 1/4". Therefore, the clearance from the tank lever to the wall is approximately 5 1/2 ", presuming a 1" width of the tank lever.

My question is, whether 5 1/2 " is enough clearance to change out the side mounted tank lever on this unit?

Please keep in mind that I have never owned a Toto toilet or a side mounted tank lever. Therefore I am unfamiliar with the mechanism on the Umax II.

Thanks again.

Greyhound1

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. With the newly tiled walls, the center of the flange will be 14 3/4" from the left side wall.

Since the Umax II is approximately 16 1/2" wide, the center of the tank to the left wall is approximately 8 1/4". Therefore, the clearance from the tank lever to the wall is approximately 5 1/2 ", presuming a 1" width of the tank lever.

My question is, whether 5 1/2 " is enough clearance to change out the side mounted tank lever on this unit?

Please keep in mind that I have never owned a Toto toilet or a side mounted tank lever. Therefore I am unfamiliar with the mechanism on the Umax II.

Thanks again.

Greyhound1

I think of what folks are telling you is that most building codes require minimum 15 inches from the sidewall to the center line of the closet flange. A few inches more than that gives bigger people more comfort. You say you will be at 14 and 3/4, so it is what it is. To do an ADA-compliant installation in a public place, codes require more lateral room, as well as that the trip lever be located on the approach side of the toilet. You don't have that problem, and you are within a quarter inch of the code minimum, so there you go. Accordingly, I think the point is that you will be fine with the normal left sided trip lever and will be able to change out the trip lever should that be required.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My Dartmouth toilet in my main bathroom is not even close to 15". This was caused by using a larger vanity that ate some space. I find it to be no real problem. In your case, I really doubt that an inspector will even measure the space, but if he does, I can imagine him rejecting the job for 1/2". It is unlikely that you will ever have to change the flush handle/hardware, but the worst that could happen if there isn't enough space, you would just have to take the tank off, do the job, then put the tank back on, but I'd be amazed that 14-1/2" wasn't plenty of space. I'd quit worrying, you'll be fine.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Gary has a wonderful idea, but of course you are ordering an Ultramax II, so no tank to take off. I went and looked at our Carlyle II, which is basically a skirted Ultramax II. To get the trip lever out in the space you are talking about should be no problem. And that way, you have the full choice of colors rather than just cotton white (the only color available with a right-handed trip lever on the UMaxII).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If this has an ADA requirement, the handle MUST on the side AWAY from the wall which would indicate a right hand flush since the left side is closest to the toilet.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Correct. But this is a home bathroom. ADA only came up because the homeowner made a comment in their original post to the effect that putting the handle on the right would make this home bathroom installation ADA compliant, which was just an offhand remark meant to be amusing and reflect some knowledge of the law, I think. I'm pretty sure private home bathrooms don't need to be ADA compliant. If this one did, then there isn't enough cleatance in any event.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A picky inspector MIGHT fail the installation. The code says 15" MINIMUM. If you haven't finished the floor yet, you might see what it would take to move it so it was centered in the space or at least had the MINIMUM code requirement. But, most toilet flush handles only need a little gap to wiggle it in or out to the side.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is why I specified "IF there is an ADA requirement" because we do not know why the subject was broached in the first place. THere are THOUSANDS, actually millions, of toilets with the center 15" from the left wall as a minimum requirement, and they can ALL have new side mount trip levers installed without tearing anything apart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks