world's oldest operating water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Darren from Tacoma

Reaction score
Just replaced a Honor-Bilt Water heater made for Sears & Roebuck. By our best estimates it was made around 1961 (had a '61' cut into the jacket and there was a 61 in the first part of the serial number and the apartment was built around the early 60's)! We found an add from a Miami newspaper from 1962 that had a tank like ours for $48.99. It had access pannels similar to ours. Our tank had water inlet/outlets on the side (top and bottom) and when was the last time they did that? It was glass lined and we only had to replace it because the thermostat stuck on (what a time bomb!) We saved the one access pannel and the data plate. --

Don't find too many 50+ year old water heaters still working (never did leak!!) water heater 2908a.jpg

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah i ran across a couple of those in Washington state back in the early 2000's elements
were electric wire coils held in place by ceramic disks,
1 in the Spokane area, and 1 on the west side neither was leaking, but had electric problems

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
we had one of those a few years ago just about blow up on us....

showed up to the home and steam was comming out of the faucets.
I was more than a little worried about it and shut down the power........

so it was ready to launch itself out the roof... I just turned on the hot water
at the bathtub and stood back for about 30 minutes while it cooled itself down....

they wanted it repaired and with a little convinceing we changed it out for their
safety

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have a 120 gallon compressed air tank dated 1931. Incredibly, the shell ends are bronze or brass and brazed to a steel tank. 150 psi for mabe a century. Those were the days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks