Vent/trap/kitchen question

Users who are viewing this thread

MRI Vato

Reaction score
I have this older house '60s where the vent pipe is about 1 1/2" copper and has split at floor level. It seems like there is a cast flange that goes into the foundation the the copper vent goes into. I was able to get the section of vent pipe up a little but Have not gotten it out all the way because there is water in it and it doesn't want to come up anymore. The question is... Is there a trap under the foundation that is holing water or is there another issue that I am having?

MRI Vato

Reaction score
So is there a trap there? Or should water just flow? how can I replace that section with PVC?

MRI Vato

Reaction score
Still trying to find out if there is some sort of trap under the foundation....The new problem is the pipe going into the foundation looks to be held in by mortar of some sort. Is is safe to chip away, and is there an easy way to fix it?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
This vent is in the kitchen? What fixture do you have in the kitchen that roughs in below the floor and requires a vent under slab? The copper pipe has a collar on it to prevent the oakum from just slipping past into the drain when setting it and it is preventing the removal of the pipe like hj said. You need to remove whatever was used to set the joint then remove the oakum. Then the pipe will come out easily and can be replaced. Is the whole pipe filled with water to floor level? Sounds like you may have a problem beyond the split copper pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We have absolutely no idea what YOU are looking at, so we cannot give any advice. But, there is NOT likely to be a trap under the floor, if the plumbing was installed properly.

MRI Vato

Reaction score
UPDATE::
I finally got the lead okum up. It looks like a bell thats about 3" then goes to 2". There is a slow drain issue that I am working on. I thought that there was a u-trap or something because there was water in the pipe, but its just draining slow. The other day I poured some drain-o pyrodex (sp) and after about a day it cleared out and I poured another because I thought it wasn't clear...It wasn't. Have not checked it today. The plumbers out to have a look and they said that they don't do the lead stuff anymore and they didn't know anyone who did, and it would be about 600 to fix it. (I think I need to get into the plumbing bizz.) Looks like I will be redoing it myself. <sigh> I hate older homes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You should have called a "good plumber", not someone who never learned how to do a lead joint. But, you should also have called him BEFORE your removed the lead joint, because now he has to redo it before he does anything else. I LOVE, (not), people who decide to "HELP ME" by starting the job before I get there and then I have to "undo" what they did before I can do what I came there for.

SteveBath

Reaction score
Website
bathrenovations.org
Kitchen sinks do NOT have drum traps under the floor, and if they did it would be the worst case scenario, not one to "HOPEFULLY" have.

Yep .. you're right - those are found on tub lines ... used to hate come across those in my Roto-Rooter days

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks