New Sytem Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

kuhner

Reaction score
I am new here and have to say this is a very interesting site. I live in rural Ohio and I am helping a friend on some hunting - retirment property.
Here is the layout. A 80 foot well is drilled on the property. There is electrical power about 75 feet from the well. We are looking at building about 350 feet from the well. There is 100 amp service to this building location, and there is about a 30 feet rise in elevation from the well head.
My question is what size, type pump, and pipe to the building location? Can we supply power to the pump from the electric 80 feet away and control it from the pressure tank at the new building? There will be a shower, toilet, and washing machine at the new building.

thanks
greg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would use a 3/4 HP, 10 GPM submersible because of the elevation and distance. #12 wire can be run 480' max for a 3/4 HP. You really need the power to go from the pressure swith at the pressure tank to the pump. So it would be hard to go the 80' to the well with power, unless you put the pressure tank at the well. You could put one of the Pside-Kick kits with only a 4.5 gallon tank at the well. That way you wouldn't need a very large cover over the well, and you could pull off the electric line to run a heater or heat tape to keep it from freezing. Putting the tank at the well will save you 270' of wire, which might pay for the box to put over the well and small tank.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Valveman I'm not sure I understand your answer. We remote locate the tank from the well all the time. Sometimes by hundreds of feet.

Whatever you do, keep the switch at the tank and not at the well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman I'm not sure I understand your answer. We remote locate the tank from the well all the time. Sometimes by hundreds of feet.

Whatever you do, keep the switch at the tank and not at the well.

I agree the pressure switch needs to stay close to the pressure tank. So if you run the power to the well from 75’ away, the pressure switch and tank need to be at the well. If you put the pressure tank and pressure switch 350’ away at the building location, you will need to run the wire from the building to the well. You can run all the power from the building location to the well. Or you can run power from 75’ away to the well. But then you will also need two control wires for a deluxe type control box ran from the building location to the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks