New Whole house filtration

Users who are viewing this thread

4bsydow

Reaction score
Hello, first I would like to say that this is an excellent site and thanks for all the info provided.

My question,

I'm interested in installing a whole house filtration system on my house. The house is fed off of a well and has 4 bathrooms. The pump is roughly 15-18gpm per well service and I am wanting to do this myself.

Water test results

Bicarbonate 521.5mg/l
Carbonate <0.1mg/l
Total Akallininty 427.5mg/l as CaCo3
chloride 1.6mg/l
Fluoride 5.30mg/l
Iron<0.005mg/l
Nitrate Nitrogen<0.02mg/l
ph units 8.20
potassium .9 total mg/l
calcium .4 total mg/l
magnesium <0.1 mg/l
sodium 208.2 mg/l
total hardness 1.2 mg/l as CaCo3
sulfate <.1 mg/l
total dissolved solids 552 mg/l

I would like to know what equipment is recommended to reduce The flouride,total alkalynity,sodium and dissolved solids.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

thanks Brent

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I agree, an RO system should definetly be used for drinking water. The removal of sodium from bathing water is not critical. The Fluoride is definetly of some minor concern since it is considered to be readily absorbed through the skin. Your levels are barely above the MCL for drinking water, so I dont know that I would recommend removing it from the entire house water. Fluoride removal is difficult and typically invloves the use of Activated alumina, or bone char (mad cow carbon). I have some new media samples from Germany that are supposed to work better for fluride reduction, but testing will take at least 6 more months to complete.

Removing the TDS would require the use of a whole house RO system. I am not a big fan of this design as they are expensive to maintain, purchase, and waste considerable enrgy and water.

So, as mialynette2003 said, a drinking water RO system would be the most important piece of equipment to have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks