(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Salt Dosage and Fleck 6700XTR, or any head for that matter

He's no different than about 90+% of the people that bought from me online for about 8 yrs until I quit selling online.

And he's no different than the thousands of guys I communicated with online since Jan 1997 that didn't buy from me.

That's just my online experience, I started selling softeners locally in 1988, went broke in 6 months or so and got back in it in 1989 as an employee for an old fairly large farm supply retail chain store. Was fired there just days before the end of my first year although out of 78 locations I was #2 in sales and then I became an independent dealer until 2 yrs ago.

As far as I can recall your experience is based on a few months of you owning your first ever softener and reading 'things' on the internet....

In my experience a knowledgeable estimate is much more accurate than an average based on water company metered usage and especially when you are going to install the softener in a bigger house than your last year's average water use is based on but...

You're right IF you don't program both type softeners the same, one will regenerate more frequently than the other; and it will be the metered one IF your water usage varies instead of being consistent and within the estimated 60 gals/day/person. And the next time you want to discuss something I said that you think is wrong, make sure you take what I said in the context I said it.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I think there is a tendency for some folks to over complicate things and no doubt there are those that get satisfaction from their tinkering with things. Having sold and installed filtration equipment for over 30 years now I have to say that the vast majority of my customers are happy just having the darn thing in the basement doing it's job with as little input from them as possible. Most folks just want the equipment to work. They don't get all involved in the minutia of programming and trying to save a half teaspoon of salt or a gallon of water either. I program for the "least amount of phone calls" most of the time.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by F6Hawk
    "You're right IF you don't program both type softeners the same, one will regenerate more frequently than the other; and it will be the metered one IF your water usage varies instead of being consistent and within the estimated 60 gals/day/person. And the next time you want to discuss something I said that you think is wrong, make sure you take what I said in the context I said it. "

What do you feel I took out of context? I would hope that you notice I can disagree with you, and have an intelligent convo with you about it, without all the nonsense I have seen between you and others on here. I'm not pointing fingers at who said what, but it DOES take away from the forum, unfortunately. And I respect your time and knowledge in the business; it's obvious you should know more than a newbie such as myself.

But back to the original topic... either I am seriously mistaken on the differences between a clocked regen and a timer, or I am not communicating clearly what I am trying to say to you. Let me try again.

If I have programmed a clock on a 1.5 cu ft for 9 days, 15 hardness, and 60 GPPPD, it will regen every 9 days (36,000 grains) for a year, using 487 lbs of salt. Period. No variations to that, because it is based on days. If I ACTUALLY use 40 GPPPD, it would still regen every 9 days, using the same salt. But...

If I had programmed a meter for the SAME values above, it would regen every 9 days as well, IFF I consumed that 60GPPPD. But if my ACTUAL use was 40 GPPPD, the meter would then regen about every 14 days (36,000 grains), and it would only use 313 lbs of salt. I don't see how the meter would EVER regen before the clock, unless the usage went over 60 GPPPD.
    The context had nothing to do with day timers; you brought day timers into the mix. It had to do with the OP programing his new valve and what gals/day/person to use. If he used 40, then program for that or 60 or 75. That is the only right way to do it.

Post 14 by you is about this;
    Originally Posted by cgarai
    60 or 75 GPDP doesn't make much difference to me. For the past year we have averaged 100 GPD for four persons. This system is going in a bigger house, but it is still the same 4 people. I ran sizing calcs the system both at 25 GPDP and 40 GPDP just in case. end quote and I said;

The 75, 60 or whatever gal/person/day is critical to correct programming.

And off we were taken into day timer control valves.... and I am done with it.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.