Kohler Cayuga wall-mount toilet with cracked tank

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffsmith99

Reaction score
I have a white Kohler Cayuga wall-mount toilet from the 1970's in my walk-out basement (model K3440) and the tank is cracked in two places quite badly. I cannot find a replacement tank anywhere. P/N K4509 Kohler discontinued them long ago.

I thought about trying to patch the crack, but then it got another one and I don't think that would be a good idea. It was suggested to replumb the room to use a floor model, but that seems like an expensive solution since it is a cement floor and all the plumbing is in the wall etc.

I did find an Avocado color salvage tank for $425 but it seems like there should be another option.

What would be the best wayto solve my problem? Is there a toilet of current or recent vintage from any manufacturer that will bolt on the wall in the same place as my current one without major plumbing work? Or is there a similar model that uses a compatable tank that would be easier to find?

Thank you for the input!

Jeff in Michigan

D

dc_homeplumber

Seems like the simplest solution would be to get the green tank and have it reglazed in whatever color you need. Since it's a wall mount and you're only dealing with the tank and I'm assuming its cover, I would think that that would not be cost prohibitive. I would definitely also spend another $12 or so and put all new guts in the replacement tank.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When the low flush law went into effect, any compatibility between new tank/old bowl ..or vice versa.... went out the window. Bolt hole patterns changed, as did trapway sizes. New tank probably would not flush an old bowl. Best bet is to get a new wall mount toilet-complete set.

D

dc_homeplumber

OUCH!!! I just re-read the original post and noticed the price on the used green tank.

As noted earlier, at that kind of expense, you're probably better off going with an entirely new toilet. There doesn't seem to be an inexpensive fix for your problem.

jeffsmith99

Reaction score
Wall Mount Toilet Dilema - Solved

Crane Rexmont
Eljer Wallford
American Standard Glenwall

We will end up with one of these wall-mount toilets for $300-$500 I guess. They all seem to have the same bolt-pattern and I assume that they have the same as my existing Kohler Cayuga - although I cannot find the specs for it. (Guess I could get out a tape measure and just measure it.)

Thank you for your assistance. I had was told by my local plumbing supply that there were no residential wall mount toilets being manufactured any longer and that I would have to get one from salvage.

Now we will go shopping - for a New one!

Have a great day!

Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks