Do tubular PVC slip joints loosen over time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bsperr

Reaction score
It's been around a year since I re-plumbed the trap for our kitchen sink with tubular PVC, and I found a large puddle of water in our sink base cabinet a few days ago. When I checked the fittings that make up the trap, I was surprised to find that the connection to the sink strainer and several of the slip joints (a dishwasher wye and baffle tee for the disposal)were no longer even finger tight. I'm certain that I tightened these fittings when I installed them. Do these types of fittings loosen up over time, and do I need to check them periodically to prevent leaks? Or is it more likely that they just got bumped and loosened by moving stuff in the sink base cabinet?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's more likely that they got bumped, but pvc does expand and contract quite a bit as it thermal cycles. Some of the cheaper ones the threads aren't all that great, and that could be an issue, too.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Same with mine. I hear ticking from the sink when running really hot or cold water. I think it loosens with thermal expansion and contraction

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks