Unknown possible plumbing tools

Users who are viewing this thread

haywardiii

Reaction score
I need some help Identifying some tools. I picked up a small toolbox at an estate sale, mainly for the Snap-on test light it contained. When I dug through it I found several odd tools and what appeared to be plumbing supplies -- lots of brass fittings and copper tubing. There were also lots of other plumbing fittings in the sale. I managed to identify most of the tools, even some handmade modified sockets, but there were a few items that I have been unable to find current versions of on any plumbing supply sites.
The first three are brass, and to my untrained eye appear to be some sort of jig, maybe for soldering pipe.

Unknown1.jpgUnknown2.jpg

The other two are steel bars with two pins protruding from one side. I thought they might be some kind of valve wrench.

Unknown3.jpgUnknown4.jpg

I collect vintage tools, although not generally plumbing tools, so I don't want to scrap what might be an interesting curio to someone. I already scored big with the items I got at the sale, so I am not looking to find out if they are extremely valuable, just want to see if I could pass them on to someone else, as others have passed on items they did not value to me. Any possible ideas or information would be very helpful.:)

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The bars are scrap, but the jigs are quite a piece of hard work. Not for plumbing, likely.

The bars might have been end cap removers for hydraulic cylinders. Usually not 'double ended' though.

haywardiii

Reaction score
Thanks. A small update on the brass items. I noticed some stamped numbers on them. The large one says No. 40, smallest says No.45, and the medium size says 20 - A.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would say the bars look like cheater handles for wheel handle gate valves,
which when they set for years can be very tight to turn

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The bars might be to remove the "bung" plugs from barrels. If we could actually hold the brackets, we might get into their auras and sense what they were used for.

haywardiii

Reaction score
Never thought of the drums. Looked up bung plug wrenches and that is the closest I've seen yet. There are other handmade tools in this collection, so maybe this is a handmade bung wrench.

haywardiii

Reaction score
That looks pretty much dead on. Must of been a wrench for removing a fastener on some large piece of machinery. Now as for those brass pieces. I will get some better pictures with a ruler next to them to show size and perspective a little better.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The chopper/mixer is a food processing device and an "unsanitary black steel" tool would not be permitted on it by the NSF standards, which is why the tool you referenced is stainless steel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks