Double wide leaking shower

Users who are viewing this thread

LizN89

Reaction score
Need ideas on how to get my shower fixed, it had been leaking for quite sometime and we finally have time to fix it all, the floor under the tub is already rotten and has holes, the walls seem to be rotten also. So we will be replacing the floor and walls n putting in a new shower(no more tub) but I need info on what materials are better and also anything I can put on the wall(once its replaced) to prevent humidity to get trapped between the wall and shower wall? Any tips will help, my mom,my bf n I will b doing this so any info helps! Thank you:) we will most likely be buying all supplies at lowes& home depot.
here are some pics of what it looks like right now!

50.jpg50b.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3673.jpg
    IMG_3673.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_6303.jpg
    IMG_6303.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:

StillGoing

Reaction score
First you need to rip out all the rot and repair the fraiming.

Lowes sells a plastic shower kit for less than a grand (Sterling)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you want a pre-fab or do you want to tile a shower? There are lots of industry tested, approved methods to build a shower. Most of them are described in the TCNA handbook, which you can download (for a cost) or may be able to find in the library. There are various conventional systems, and many of the newer ones utilize surface waterproofing. A conventional shower has various layers, and a bunch of the materials can get damp in normal operation. A surface membrane is applied just underneath the tile, so very little material can get wet. This is my preferred method. To get an idea, you could check out the Wedi website or Schluter's at www.schluter.com and look at their Kerdi Shower system. Latticrete, Mapai, and NOble, along with others, make surface waterproofing systems. Check them out.

In a properly built shower, you could shower in it before the tile is applied and not get water into the walls or floor...the tile is a wear and decorative layer, NOT the waterproofing...that MUST be done properly before even thinking of installing the tile. Course, the soap scum, hair, dead skin cells, etc. would make eventual tiling problematic!?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks