How to change timer on sprinkler system

Users who are viewing this thread

cookiedoe

Reaction score
We just moved into our new home in Arizona this year and we have no idea how to change the timer on our sprinkler system. The other people who lived here had a landscape company come in and do everything to the yard and he said he had no idea how to do it. I am attaching a picture hoping someone can help me. My trees and plants are turning brown, my sprinkler system is only coming on once a day. Someone please help!!! I do not want to call a landscaper out to show me how to change the timer on this system. Thank you!!!! sprinkler.jpg

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
There is no timer in that box, your looking at the electric water valve and pressure regulator. Look for anouther box on a wall (Normally not below ground) with a transformer plugged into a outlet to power it.

cookiedoe

Reaction score
I've looked everywhere and there isn't anything. That is where the previous owner said the landscaper changed the settings for the sprinkler system. I am completely lost. I even looked on all of my water fittings. Any other suggestions?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The timer is on the other end of the wires in the valve box. It will be in an area protected from the weather and probably not far from the valve box. If you have a basement, look on the interior wall. It could be in a garage, or some out of the way location. Usually they will be fairly close to the valve box but not always. Timers are DC operated, so there will be a transformer (just a small cube) plugged into an outlet. The timer itself is a box and will have connections for the wires, a dial, and a function window. Different brands will look slightly different, but they all work more or less the same. Once you find the timer, note the make and model then do a Google search for the operation manual.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The timer could be anywhere, but usually not too far from that sprinkler valve. Usually on the wall inside or outside of the garage, or under the electrical box.

Tbone77

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.hunterindustries.com
Until you find the controller you can turn the little screw located on top of the valve to turn it on manually. IT is the dark grey one with the cross or philips pattern on top of the light grey valve.Usually a 1/4 turn or so will turn on the valve. Do not be alarmed when water comes out as you back it out, this is normal. Just do not completely un-screw it. Loosen it just enough till the water comes on. Then tighten it back up when you want to turn it off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks