Air Sealing Electrical Boxes (Expanding Foam.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm working on a new renovation with new wiring and access to the open framing. I would like to prevent air leakage around all electrical boxes.

One thought I have is to use expanding foam around the outside of the boxes. Is this OK?

Thanks in Advance,
Bill

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm working on a new renovation with new wiring and access to the open framing. I would like to prevent air leakage around all electrical boxes.

One thought I have is to use expanding foam around the outside of the boxes. Is this OK?

Thanks in Advance,
Bill

There are specific foams for closing holes drilled to chase NM thru framing. Look at some of that.

Molo

Reaction score
I talked to a rep. at Dow today. They said that their standard "great stuff" foam is OK around electrical boxes and insulated wires. However, it is not OK inside the box or in contact with bare copper.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
if i were you, i wouldn't use the normal great stuff. get the stuff for windows and doors. it does not expand as much and will not push your boxes out of square if you use too much. it will bow window frames if used incorretly, i've done it myself.

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
I doubt that fireblock caulk or foam is required. The OP is not sealing fire rated areas, except for maybe floor penetrations and that is only is the floor is a rated assembly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks