(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a Custom Electric Mirror - Sometimes simple is best!

What an excellent idea.
    CLAPFC

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clapfc View Post
    What an excellent idea.
    Thanks. Hope you had a great NEw Years...

JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

DIY Junior Member

John,

can you give some details on the build process of the mirror? You said you were "blown away at how simple these builds are and can imagine that anyone with a good skill set can pull off building one of these mirrors". What is involved in building these types of mirrors? I live nowhere near Vancouver, otherwise I'd go directly to this guy you mentioned. There are plenty of glass fabricators near me who can sell me 5'x3' mirror, but when I ask them if they can sell me one with a translucent frosted border, they just give me back a blank stare.

So if you can tell us how these are produced, that would be highly appreciated. Is some sandblasting involved? Thank you!

Also, how did you attach the mirror the frame in the back? Is it held by some sort of mirror glue or some other mechanical fastening method?
    Last edited by aharami; 12-05-2013 at 01:16 PM.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aharami - thanks for your message. I have hundreds of the install process pictures uploaded on a private photo album titled LED Lighting.

I build all sorts of LED Lighting Projects. This bathroom designed by Holger Hoos the hardest one to date.

I try and stick to shower construction conversation here on Terry's site and if you want more of the build process of these mirrors send me an email (my email address is below with my phone number) and I will let you know how to access the pictures.

The short explanation is I used a French Cleat to hang a few of the mirrors and the one I built for my girls I pinned with a 1/4 round moulding.

Sandblasting glass is not hard - but, most glass suppliers do not do this.

I have my glass guy deliver to my glass artist - Moe from Glasstopia and Moe takes care of this step.

The LED'S are attached to the back side of the mirror on a 90 degree angle bracket which doubles as a heat sink. I used some 3M double sided tape for the install with clear silicone.

LED Lighting in showers is all new. There are no TCNA or TTMAC recemmendations to follow. I'm trying out new ways of building these light features and this one style pictured below is by far the simpliest to build. It's a down lit LED Shower Niche. The lights are separated from the shower by a piece of white laminate glass which is sealed to the shower's waterproofing with Kerdi Fix.

Still not grouted in this photo. I'm told that the painting is all done in this bathroom and that I need to go back and hang a few corner shelfs. Can not wait to see this job wrapped up.
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 12-06-2013 at 05:25 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.