What size sediment screen for my deep well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Timbuktu

Reaction score
One of these days my deep well submersable will fail and require a "well man" to pull'er up.
So i can be prepared for that day I should be researching now ,the kind of sediment filter that id have them replace the current one with. Thats assuming i have a "mesh size " choice .

Of course theres no way of knowing what smaller size i need unless I know whats on it now.

You know,I did save some sand that came up a few days ago,so i could take that sample into a dealer who could size the mesh using my sand sample. right?

Timbuktu

Reaction score
I assume there is supposed to be a sort of screen filter where the water first enters the well pipe down below.
Is there a place online you may know of where I can see whats available ?
or.. Is it better just to wait until the pump fails and has to be pulled up. Then whoever i call out to pull up the pump will be able to recommend a new filter screen then.?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Good well casing with screen or perfs should be the screen that keeps sand out of the well. But if it pumps sand, then you have to filter above ground. Lakos makes a seperator that fits on the pump. But you will need some open hole below the pump for it to drop the sand into.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is this a mud or rock bore? A rock bore would not use screened casing. If a rock bore, it might be top fed so putting a sleeve on the pump may help.

If it is a mud bore, the well may need some further development by heavy over-pumping. That said, some wells may never clear up and so a dole valve and in-line filters might be the only option.

Timbuktu

Reaction score
Is this a mud or rock bore?
I have no idea. Im in decomposed granite. High desert mountains. Never seen mud here,plenty of rock and sand.

lebatard

Reaction score
I agreed with the 2 screen idea. First use the more coarse screen as a first layer of protection and behind that, use a very fine wire mesh. Try something like a 100 x 100 stainless steel wire mesh that might be found here:

http://www.bwire.com/

These 2 layers of screening and filtration should be enough to keep both large and small sediment from causing this catastrophe that you are preparing for. Cross your fingers and hope you have a lot of time before this occurs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks