(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: System in new house

  1. #16
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mialynette2003 View Post
    I don't know because he does not say. I'm thinking of all the other people reading this and I can see someone with a pot tank adding chlorine to it based on your advise which was bad without adding a precaution of not mixing PP and chlorine.
    If you and watersloutions Kinetico salesman Andy where to take what I said in context you wouldn't be able to whine about it.

    I was answering a statement of his about regeneration and used the word regenerate in context.

    Originally Posted by Sulphurexcess
    System installed ~2007. Water was tested inside house (post conditioning system) about 4 months ago before purchase of house (house actually sat unused for ~ 4-5 months) - came back as good, no coliforms although hardness was at 333 (not surprising as there was no salt in softener at time). end quote and then he said;

    Bleach containing backwash runs at midnight, softener salt one runs ~ 2 AM. I am unclear on why sulfur removal tank needs dilute bleach to backwash (unless to kill bacteria). Greensand uses permanganate and not sure about Pyrolox requirements.

    I'll grab pics tonight and update tomorrow. end quote and I said;
    Greensand and Pyrolox can be regenerated with chlorine. No potassium permanganate with Pyrolox. end of quote.

    I see now that I should have also said that the bleach is added not to the backwash but during the slow rinse/brine draw. Because his 'filter' is actually a softener with filter mineral in it.

    I guess watersolutions Kinetico salesman Andy didn't know about continuous feed of chlorine as regenerating greensand. Or wouldn't a novice laymen see that as regenerating?

    I have never heard of any caution of introducing chlorine after greensand has been regenerated with potassium permanganate as being dangerous.

    It would be dangerous if the service water was pink though, because that means there is PP in the water; which it never is supposed to be. That is in itself is dangerous. And it is caused by a problem with the equipment and in this case, although you missed it, that is not going to happen because he has said his filter uses bleach (post #4).
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  2. #17
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphurexcess View Post
    Update - Confirmed with company media used in Sulfur removal tank is....."Simplus is a granular manganese oxide filter material used for the removal of Hydrogen Sulfide and trace levels of Iron. It can only be used on water that has a pH in the 6.8-7.8 range. Simplus acts as a catalyst to create a reaction between dissolved oxygen and the hydrogen sulfide. We always recommend that a water softener be installed after the filter if iron or manganese is present. Simplus can be regenerated with sodium hypochlorite (5.25% bleach) to clean precipitate from the filter material. Otherwise, regeneration included backwashing and rinsing".
    If the acid neutralizer filter ran low or out of mineral, which it did since the guy recently added mineral to it... then the low pH would cause the Simplus not to work. Or you don't have low pH and the original homeowner was taken with misapplied equipment.

    And my suggestion of running beach through the equipment to disinfect it will possibly help bring back some of the Simplus.

    Problem is you say the AN filter part is on top of the softener resin tank which was installed AFTER the Simplus filter... And if so, and you have low pH for the application of Simplus, then I think the guy that sold the system should be redoing the order of things and replacing the Simplus free of charge.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by water solutions View Post
    What he really means is that chlorine, H202 or some other oxidant is injected into the line ahead of the greensand and used in a continuous feed, which includes water used in the regeneration, backwashing, and service cycles. By telling others that chlorine is used for regeneration, he might leading them to believe that you just put chlorine in the brine tank and let it go as you might with potassium permanganate.
    I guess Gary didn't read what I said. If he had, then he would not be claiming I didn't know what I had already said.
    Last edited by water solutions; 06-22-2012 at 06:01 PM.

  4. #19
    DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ocala, Florida
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by water solutions View Post
    I guess Gary didn't read what I said. If he did, then he would be claiming I didn't know what I had already said.
    I can see someone pouring chlorine into their pot tank based on a recommendation from Gary. He should be more careful of what he says. To me, that was very bad advise, but he will never admit to it.

  5. #20
    DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ocala, Florida
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    If you and watersloutions Kinetico salesman Andy where to take what I said in context you wouldn't be able to whine about it.

    I was answering a statement of his about regeneration and used the word regenerate in context.

    Originally Posted by Sulphurexcess
    System installed ~2007. Water was tested inside house (post conditioning system) about 4 months ago before purchase of house (house actually sat unused for ~ 4-5 months) - came back as good, no coliforms although hardness was at 333 (not surprising as there was no salt in softener at time). end quote and then he said;

    Bleach containing backwash runs at midnight, softener salt one runs ~ 2 AM. I am unclear on why sulfur removal tank needs dilute bleach to backwash (unless to kill bacteria). Greensand uses permanganate and not sure about Pyrolox requirements.

    I'll grab pics tonight and update tomorrow. end quote and I said;
    Greensand and Pyrolox can be regenerated with chlorine. No potassium permanganate with Pyrolox. end of quote.

    I see now that I should have also said that the bleach is added not to the backwash but during the slow rinse/brine draw. Because his 'filter' is actually a softener with filter mineral in it.

    I guess watersolutions Kinetico salesman Andy didn't know about continuous feed of chlorine as regenerating greensand. Or wouldn't a novice laymen see that as regenerating?

    I have never heard of any caution of introducing chlorine after greensand has been regenerated with potassium permanganate as being dangerous.

    It would be dangerous if the service water was pink though, because that means there is PP in the water; which it never is supposed to be. That is in itself is dangerous. And it is caused by a problem with the equipment and in this case, although you missed it, that is not going to happen because he has said his filter uses bleach (post #4).
    Who's whinning? I merely pointed out the fact it is dangerous to mix KMNo4 and chlorine. I am not going to continue to comment on this subject so if you choose to try and belittle or berate me, be my guest. It will only show what a little person you are.
    Last edited by mialynette2003; 06-22-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

  6. #21

    Default

    I know, you respectfully point out how what someone says might be misunderstood and he comes back with childish, personal insults.

  7. #22
    In the Trades Tom Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,940

    Default

    Who cares? consider the source gentlemen, consider the source.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Similar Threads

  1. Should PRV be before iirrigation system and house? Or just house?
    By garyl53 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 06:14 AM
  2. House water turned off for 3 hours, house plumbing out of whack - Air in system?
    By jluksic in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 05:43 AM
  3. Help with a whole house filter system
    By Infinity in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 08:16 PM
  4. Using the same well for the house and the sprinkler system
    By ts in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 04:41 AM
  5. Irrigation on house system
    By gahlen in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 06:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •