(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice On How To Get The Leathers To Seal In A New 2" Driven Well

Post Need Advice On How To Get The Leathers To Seal In A New 2" Driven Well

I just installed a new 2'' well casing via sandpont. The well is 38' deep with eight feet of water in the pipe. I have been trying unsuccessfully to install the suction line and jetpacker. My problem is that the leathers do not appear to be sealing against the new case. I've put two sets in and when I attempt to fill the pipes with water in preparation to prime the pump, all the water seems to pass by the leathers. I did soak the leathers each time for several hours in warm water--to no avail. I also raised and lowered the suction line in an effort to seal them--same result. Is there anything else I can try? Also, I replaced thefoot valve and double checked it to ensure that was not the culprit...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    TM

8' of water isn't much to work with, but you might try setting the packer in a different spot. Like a foot or two higher or lower.

Valveman,

Thanks for the quick reply--it is appreciated! I did try to raise it a foot or two and did not have any better result. Any idea why the leathers would not want to seat against the new galvanized pipe. I bought two different sets with similar results....

Concerning the 8' in the pipe, I simply couldn't drive the pipe any further. The application is strictly irrigation so I was hoping to get by with a low flow....

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    8' of water isn't much to work with, but you might try setting the packer in a different spot. Like a foot or two higher or lower.

You are not trying to set the packer in the screened area are you? It can't seal off in that area.

You are not trying to set the packer in the screened area are you? It can't seal off in that area.
    I carefully measured where I should be a foot above the screen. I did raise it several more feet later to ensure that it wasn't in the screen. Today I measured the inside diameter of the 2 " pipe just as a desperation measure. The pipe is Chinese manufacture. It appears to be roughly 2 & 1/8" inside and not a true 2" inch? Is this common? Could that be the problem or would the leathers expand the extra bit?

Also, I have pulled the suction pipe three times now and I can pull it fairly easily by hand (two people lifting the 35" of pipe). I do not feel much drag against the pipe by the leathers. Is that the way it should be with new pipe?

Thanks again for the help!

TM

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Are you just pouring the water in by hand or pumping it under pressure? Just like seating a tire bead, the pressure will press out on the leathers and improve the seal.

Unfortunately I do not have another water source at the site and have only been able to fill it from a tank by gravity. I am open to any suggestions... [QUOTE=LLigetfa;348075]Are you just pouring the water in by hand or pumping it under pressure?

The ID of 2" sch 40 steel pipe measures just a hair over 2". Leathers will expand a little bit, but I don't know if they will fit 2 1/8" ID pipe. It should be a tight fit when pulling up. Can you get oversized leathers?

I'm not sure what is available on the market, but I will begin checking. We have very limited local availability but perhaps there is something on the net.
    By the way, my well is situated over an aquifer, although I'm not certain if I am fully into it. I would assume that might help in its ability to produce if I ever get it pumping???
    Thanks again...
    The ID of 2" sch 40 steel pipe measures just a hair over 2". Leathers will expand a little bit, but I don't know if they will fit 2 1/8" ID pipe. It should be a tight fit when pulling up. Can you get oversized leathers?

Not sure what shape your leathers are, but if the typical "C" cutout in a circle... mayhap you can have some custom made?

Thanks -- The leathers are the "cup" variety. So far everything I have been able to find shows me the factory made leathers jump from 2" to 2 1/4". Im doubtful the pipe could handle the 2 1/4" without tearing them during the install. I'm not sure if the cup could be custom formed or not.

I may try to pressure the case as one member suggested to see if that will help them seal.
    Quote Originally Posted by F6Hawk View Post
    Not sure what shape your leathers are, but if the typical "C" cutout in a circle... mayhap you can have some custom made?

We usually soaked the leathers in water for a time then spread them out before running them. In some cases we installed a rubber packer (I think Myers). You install this packer to the choosen spot then tightening it spread the rubber to seal. It usually works great in your case!
    Porky Cutter, MGWC
    (Master Ground Water Consultant)

Can you advise me how you tighten it after it is installed???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Porky View Post
    We usually soaked the leathers in water for a time then spread them out before running them. In some cases we installed a rubber packer (I think Myers). You install this packer to the choosen spot then tightening it spread the rubber to seal. It usually works great in your case!

I attempted to fill the case again with water under pressure as was suggested earlier by one of the members -- I was able to fill the pipes but they drained as soon as I stopped.

Does anyone know if it would be ppossible to shim out the leathers on the packer body with some type of large nylon washer to force them to flare out a bit more??? Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Dumb question, are the leathers right side up?