Newbie question - Briggs toilet supply

Users who are viewing this thread

smarchitelli

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Let me start off that I am the world’s worst handyman, so please be gentle. I have a problem with one of my toilets in my home. It is a Briggs – R 7424. It seems to be leaking where the arrow indicates (see attached pic). Any recommendations on the replacement line? A guy I work with mentioned the Watts Floodsafe products, but a quick review online wasn’t very favorable.

stevetoilet.jpg

Please let me know and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With a high volume one-piece toilet, you won't want the Flood Safe supply.
I would remove the existing supply tube with the lower nut and match it up at a hardware store.
It's a little hard to tell from the drawing, but it looks to be either a 3/8" comp or a 1/2" comp. On the West Coast, we use a 1/2" from the wall with a 3/8" supply line. but I know that the East Coast likes 3/8".

You can also use rigid pipe there if you feel handy.

Last edited:

smarchitelli

Reaction score
Ok, I will try that. Thanks for the advice. Any particular brands I should be looking for the supply tube? Would it include the top plastic screw nut as well?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The top nut is a standard 7/8" for a toilet fill valve.

Brands? It will depend on what they have. I have my preference, and they bring them in specially for me.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Would a braided line be ok or do I have to use a solid pipe like the original fitting?

Get the braided line. No reason not to use it. It won't be a straight run like that pipe; you will likely loop it to fit and that's fine. You can look at any toilet anywhere to see how they have done it; around where I live, at least 50 percent have replaced that little pipe with a braided line.

And when you're done, you will feel just a little bit handier!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Braided lines come in various lengths. Don't shoot for an exact fit, allow a little extra for fitting. Only problem with lines that are way too long is they have to be looped and are not very attractive, but they work.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Take a close look at the nut that connects the supply tube to the fill valve it appears to be cracked.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks