(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Air in pipes??

  1. #1

    Cool Air in pipes??

    Everytime we flush the toilet it sounds like a train going thru the house. Can someone walk us thru the solution? It only started about a month ago (we are at our 2nd home, that's why we let it go so long, but now we are here for a week). Once the toilet is flushed it takes about 15 seconds before we hear the noise slowly get louder and louder (sounds like air in the pipes). If we turn on the water in the sink it helps somewhat. The sounds lasts for about 10 seconds and goes away. Can this be done by us or do we need a handy man or plumber? Waiting for you reply. Many thanks and happy holidays.

  2. #2
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005


    Are you on a well? If not a well you can try and replace the fill valve and supply tube. Get a Fluidmaster 400A and a flexable braded stainless steel supply tube. They can be had at any big box store.

    Only you will know if you can do it. We can walk you through it if you decide you want to try it, it's not to hard.

    My guess is that it only sounds like air as if it was air you would be getting it at other faucets.
    Last edited by Cass; 12-26-2005 at 04:40 PM.

  3. #3


    replace the float valve...the seal in the valve is bad.

  4. #4
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Blog Entries


    Cass is right, more than likely it's the fill valve.

    Before you work on that, make sure the shutoff to the toilet is fully open.
    Sometimes these are turned down and the rubber will vibrate.

    A quieter valve than the Fluidmaster is the Quietfill by Korky.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-01-2008 at 04:26 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Air in pipes

    Thanks everyone for your reply.
    We are on a well - do you still recommend changing the valve? If so where is the valve that you are referring to? Would it be in the tank or in the basement? As you can see I know nothing about this subject.
    Have a great day and happy new Year to all!

  6. #6
    DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC


    The fill valve is inside the toilet tank.
    The Fluidmaster 400A comes with illustrated instructions on how to replace and adjust it. They only cost about $5-$6 bucks at a big box.
    Easy. Good luck!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts